Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu trial and error

Beans

ubuntu trial and error

Ok, I gave it a shot. I am an IT Tech for a small company in PA. I have spent a solid week fooling around with Ubuntu 7 and 6, also Xubuntu. I have yet to make it install on anything. I tried four different machines and it just will not work. I think that the price for XP far makes up for the time one would have to spend to make this OS work.
    I am done.
    Its official, Ubuntu sux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: ubuntu trial and error

Beans

It's not because it does not work for you that it s....Thousands are using it at this very moment.

What are your specs? What machines, etc?
    my JAMENDO * The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans and Z was my donor! * Tarot and Poya Sutra | * # 12755

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Genericet View Post
    Ok, I gave it a shot. I am an IT Tech for a small company in PA. I have spent a solid week fooling around with Ubuntu 7 and 6, also Xubuntu. I have yet to make it install on anything. I tried four different machines and it just will not work. I think that the price for XP far makes up for the time one would have to spend to make this OS work.
    I am done.
    No it's official that you couldn't get it to work despite being an "IT Tech".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am done.
    it tech huh? are you sure you know how to properly burn an iso file to cd? what are the specs of these four fine computers you've tried to install ubuntu on? and last but not least, enjoy paying for software. it's attitudes like yours that suck, not the operating system.

Beans

Let's try and calm down please and not give mods extra work!!
    my JAMENDO * The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans and Z was my donor! * Tarot and Poya Sutra | * # 12755

Beans

Ok, ok, ok. I guess I should have figured that saying Ubuntu sux was going to get me flamed. Let me explain further. I REALLY wanted this to work. I was excited about trying something new after stagnating in the IT field for the past five years. I am a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator. We all no that a MS certification and 4 bucks will get you a latte at starbucks. I do know computers and I do have patience. The machines I tried it on were two p4's and a p3 and one Core 2 duo. I burned about 12 cd's with three different programs (btw the programs listed on the website to use did not work at all because it could not recognise the burner in my machine). What I am trying to say is that I have waisted to much time on this for it to be worth the price of XP. I got the live disk to run and thought it was neet to finally see it. I just never got it to install on the hard drive. It always choked. I am not sure why anyone would go through this frustration. I would like to try it again when I have time just as a personal challenge to make it work but I can't see why everyone keeps saying what a great piece of software this is. It seems more like a fixer upper oppertunity than a new car.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

but I can't see why everyone keeps saying what a great piece of software this is.
    Because we are so stupid

Beans

I just never got it to install on the hard drive. It always choked.
    Probably a bad burn. Try the following:
    • Burn at a slower speed
    • Burn to a different brand of CD
    • Check the CD for integrity (at the boot menu)

(btw the programs listed on the website to use did not work at all because it could not recognise the burner in my machine)
    Maybe you have a problematic burner?

Beans

I am done.
    Come on man, it's not that bad. Trust me, I've gone through some major poo getting this laptop up and working. Last night I just got my conky file up. Walk away from it for a few days then come back to it. Though my experience was challenging, I've had much worse in my previous life as an IT sys eng.
    You'll find it. Just keep looking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast