Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wine or Cedega?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Wine or Cedega?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeikcied View Post
    But, as I haven't used Cedega in months, it seems odd to me to keep paying for it.

I guess I'm just wondering if I should give up on Cedega and just use Wine.
    Here's the deal. Cedega, once installed and working, stays installed and working until you decide to remove it. You subscribe to Transgaming so that you can receive updates. Once you've paid your mandatory 3 months of $5USD/mo (total of $15USD) you can unsubscribe and still use Cedega. Really, what you are paying for at that point is the updates to Cedega since you can only get them by being a subscriber. But if your current version of Cedega is running the only game that you are using Cedega for, then just unsubscribe and don't update and save your monies.
    "Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun!" -Top Dollar, from The Crow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Or you can use the project which Cedega is actually based on, which receives updates for free every 2 weeks or so with massive improvements every time.
    Brown doesn't suck. And neither does wood. Download Woody. A Metacity theme.
    Note: the rm command deletes stuff! Don't be tricked into running malicious scripts. If in doubt, ask!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KhaaL View Post
    GalCiv2 fans, if you can submit bugreports to appdb I'd really appriciate it. im one of the app mantainers and people really need to rally over there and submit detailed bugreports!
    done I (john on appdb.winehq.org) cannot get past directx error message

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

On the topic, I'd say both. Assuming you are really into win. Games and the like there are many differences. For example Recently i was playing around trying to get NFS:Crabon to run on Wine. Absolutely did not work. Cedega however ran it quite nicely though I'll note the graphics bugged alot. So they're both great options and double your chances of being able to run a program which if you ask me is good for everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12