Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cool microsoft website

Beans

Re: Cool microsoft website

Thanks, I got a laff! Who's that dude with the glasses, and what did they do to Pan, the guy in the Office for Mac ads?
    Someday they'll have an ad with a guy saying "I liked my iMac, but I couldn't play solitaire on it, so I went back to Windows."
    You'd think Microsoft would be satisfied just making lousy products, without spreading FUD and lies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem is. MS has a service and they're advertising it as best as they can.

People act like MS is the Death Star and exists solely to invade peoples' PCs so they can make them crash and then laugh while stealing from orphanages and kicking puppies. It's ridiculous.

I don't use Windows any more, and doubt I'll ever go back, but it's not out of some asinine hatred of Microsoft, I just happen to like Ubuntu better.
    Im with you. MS are there because they have done it well. I would rather things go as they are going now for a complete winner. No way I want apple to win. MS I dont mind. But Im happy with MS being out in front while I use Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

The reality is, those companies featured on Microsoft's FUD campaigns have assessed the merits of using a Windows-based system versus Linux-based ones, and have decided that Windows-based system with Microsoft products work best for them.

All those who mock pro-Microsoft testimonials need to be aware that they do not run those companies' IT systems. Respect what the CIOs and IT managers of those companies have decided, because they are likely to have some pretty good reasons for picking Microsoft over a Linux stack, even if those reasons are purely driven by marketing.

What the Linux community should really be doing is asking why those companies are picking Microsoft, finding some common reasons why Microsoft is being chosen, and figure out how Linux and FOSS-based enterprise systems can close the gap.

One thing that I've noticed with almost every testimonial is how the CIO and IT managers harp on about Microsoft's integration and support. Those companies tend to have operated hybrid systems with haphazard sets of Unix, Netware, and other servers and software cobbled together. No wonder they are impressed by Microsoft's offering of Windows Server, MS SQL Server, MS Office, and Visual Studio! Clearly Microsoft's enterprise systems integrate with each other better than FOSS-based systems, such as LAMP. So how does the Linux and FOSS community fix this?

Be constructive, not dismissive.
    Last edited by samjh; November 11th, 2007 at 12:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem is. MS has a service and they're advertising it as best as they can.
    yep, looks like a typical advert to me. hey OP, if it was legal would you start scanning ads from PC mags too?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by samjh View Post
    The reality is, those companies featured on Microsoft's FUD campaigns have assessed the merits of using a Windows-based system versus Linux-based ones, and have decided that Windows-based system with Microsoft products work best for them.

All those who mock pro-Microsoft testimonials need to be aware that they do not run those companies' IT systems. Respect what the CIOs and IT managers of those companies have decided, because they are likely to have some pretty good reasons for picking Microsoft over a Linux stack, even if those reasons are purely driven by marketing.

What the Linux community should really be doing is asking why those companies are picking Microsoft, finding some common reasons why Microsoft is being chosen, and figure out how Linux and FOSS-based enterprise systems can close the gap.

One thing that I've noticed with almost every testimonial is how the CIO and IT managers harp on about Microsoft's integration and support. Those companies tend to have operated hybrid systems with haphazard sets of Unix, Netware, and other servers and software cobbled together. No wonder they are impressed by Microsoft's offering of Windows Server, MS SQL Server, MS Office, and Visual Studio! Clearly Microsoft's enterprise systems integrate with each other better than FOSS-based systems, such as LAMP. So how does the Linux and FOSS community fix this?

but you see, that just makes too much sense for most people around here that see the need for Linux to "rule".

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by samjh View Post

As I said, they are the masters at being extremely vague. You can read what they said about RH in a tiny article and then give it at on the spot, or you can read the entire "Why Microsoft is Better" link and come to a conclusion from there.

They are only specific on the greatness of their software, excluding the downfalls, while only giving the "Downfalls" of Linux, in a tiny, little article, where it still is not fully explained.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Microsoft Kicks Puppies?

I Want Ubuntu To Kick Puppies Too!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    As I said, they are the masters at being extremely vague. You can read what they said about RH in a tiny article and then give it at on the spot, or you can read the entire "Why Microsoft is Better" link and come to a conclusion from there.

They are only specific on the greatness of their software, excluding the downfalls, while only giving the "Downfalls" of Linux, in a tiny, little article, where it still is not fully explained.
    MS are masters at the art of talking up their products. They have made (or should i say Purloined) billions, that is their purpose in life.

No version of free Linux has this aim in life, so will never compete with MS. Those that charge for their version of Linux cannot hope to compete either for the money or resources which MS has available. I still keep a laptop with XP on it to run programs or peripherals which Linux does seem able to do. It has wifi but I shall probably disable it when they no longer support XP. It will then be used as a front end for printers, scanners and certain software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    What do you expect them to do, go through a long list of their benefits and disadvantages? Seriously, it's called advertising.
    Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo e6600; ASUS P5N-E SLI; GeForce 7600GT; 2 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    Ubuntu Feisty 7.06 and Window XP

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4cedOut View Post
    What do you expect them to do, go through a long list of their benefits and disadvantages? Seriously, it's called advertising.
    Yes, I know. I've taken Marketing courses. I just find it somewhat funny.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast