Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux School Apps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Linux School Apps?

There's also Kalzium, which should fit the bill for a good chemistry learning application. Like urukrama said, there are a bunch of good KDE educational apps. Save yourself the trouble and take a look at them all:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdeedu
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Having recently started using Xubuntu, I'm really into the way it runs and the community here; I really want to set up a separate comp for my 3 yr old, and Edubuntu is looking to be it.

With her in pre-school, I'd love to find more stuff for the younger ages. If there are any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott-271; November 24th, 2007 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Spelling.....
    "You know better, but I know him....."

note to self: never run GParted after drinking Strawberry Daiquiris all afternoon.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

The most important app for linux to be used by students in schools imho is a decent note taking program like NoteBook for mac.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MBro View Post
    The most important app for linux to be used by students in schools imho is a decent note taking program like NoteBook for mac.
    Technically, isn't any old text editor good enough to take notes, if you make nice little bullet points and all that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Psychopath View Post
    Technically, isn't any old text editor good enough to take notes, if you make nice little bullet points and all that?
    Yeah technically, but when it comes to use its so much easier.

MS Word vs MS One Note, one note wins hands down for note taking.

The ability to easily drag and drop information from other sources and have it cited and the tabs are my favorite tools I wish I had in Ubuntu.

Beans

I study German and find myself constantly having to learn big vocab lists (about 2 a week) which is very mundane.

But applications can make it a lot more fun. I've seen some language programs for windows, but not for linux yet.

The way they work is you enter your list of vocab (foreign language and english) then it applies that to preprogrammed games such as wordsearches and matching the two words together and flashcards etc..

That's something I'd really like to see done for linux

Beans

- A 3D solar system with facts about each planet, and built in constellation viewer.
    Have a look at Celestia - It's the best virtual representation of the galaxy I've ever seen. If Google Earth and Celestia merged...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm going to bump this up by saying this:
    Indywiki would be awesome for students as an Encarta competitor.

Beans

Hi synthsrkl!

I think these programs should do the trick: http://edu.kde.org/languages/
    But true enough, there aren't many apps made for linux to help you learn a language! I'm French by the way, I thought it would be fun to get membership for both the French and the English forums!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12