Thread: help me with an experiment: audible quality loss of mp3 files!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

help me with an experiment: audible quality loss of mp3 files!

hey everybody! i'm about to carry out a little experiment for my studies...

do you know any sites about the audible quality loss of mp3 compressed files? or -even better- scientific publications about this topic?

any hints are welcome. i'll let you know the results, if you want!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: help me with an experiment: audible quality loss of mp3 files!

I am not sure of any sites---but I do know that you loose audio quality anytime you change the formating of the song. This should be interesting to see....good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

With a simple google search you will find a few comparisons. They are not scientific but detailed enough to see and hear the differences. As a general rule, you will lose high frequency (17 kHz and higher) when you compress to mp3. As most people have high-frequency hearing loss, you may not know the difference. You earbuds/headphones, speakers may not know the difference either.

Music type also is a factor. Classical music with wide dynamic range and instrumental breaks will pick up the "breathing" that is characteristic of compression. With heavy metal, you may not notice it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

For all things audio related from a scientifically minded perspective refer to

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org

Very, very helpful forums and the wiki is a useful introduction. People there regularly conduct double blind tests on various audio formats. you'll find more help there anyway