Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FarCry with WINE won't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: FarCry with WINE won't work

I installed the driver using this guide : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575843

But it didn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by BorisK View Post
    I installed the driver using this guide : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575843

But it didn't work
    What didn't work? fglrx? compiz? FarCry?

Did you try checking the output of fglrxinfo as well as glxinfo when you installed? Did you check the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to make sure that the fglrx driver was actually being loaded properly?

In addition, note that the guide you linked to notes, at the top, that it is not valid for the newest fglrx release (8.42.3) which is what you were installing. It also doesn't include instructions on how to get Compiz to work - you need to perform additional tasks after the pure driver install to make it work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What a royal pain. Can't we just have easily downloadable kernel modules that you can install in linux? I seem to recall this being solved in Windows 3.1
    Brown doesn't suck. And neither does wood. Download Woody. A Metacity theme.
    Note: the rm command deletes stuff! Don't be tricked into running malicious scripts. If in doubt, ask!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by weblordpepe View Post
    What a royal pain. Can't we just have easily downloadable kernel modules that you can install in linux? I seem to recall this being solved in Windows 3.1
    Open-source kernel modules compile and install fine in Linux, for example. And, indeed, installing the current Ubuntu repository version of the ATI driver works pretty well with Synaptic.

For most people, even, most binary blob installers work fine - it's just that ATI seem to have difficulties in writing installers that work (as a defense of this statement, I note that to get the ATI 8.42.3 driver to install on 64bit Ubuntu, you have to download an additional script which ATI forgot to include...). Most of the guide to installing 8.42.3 involves procedures which fix common bugs in ATI's installer...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Compiz didn't work. I didn't test FarCry with it. After I saw that Compiz doesn't work, I visited Compiz-Fusion's IRC channel and someone asked me for my xorg.0.log , however he wasn't able to diagnose the problem. And at the time I installed this driver, the guide wasn't outdated. It seems I messed up driver versions a bit, sorry. No, I didn't check outputs of glxinfo and fglrxinfo, but I think someone one the IRC asked me about that.
    Now - should I install latest ATI fglrx driver ? I currently use Opensource driver - how can I uninstall it and get everything back to normal ?
    Oh I forgot to mention : I think 3D games didn't work with newest ATI driver (I forgot so I'm not sure)
    *when I say Compiz I mean Compiz-Fusion
    Last edited by BorisK; November 15th, 2007 at 06:02 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123