Thread: amiga/free bsd

Beans

amiga/free bsd

well, i've been using ubuntu for about 6 months now, and its been awesome. its astounding the difference in system recource usage vs windows that it presents. i don't even have to look at logs to see the difference, i can just listen to my pc. but after having installed the new system kernel a couple weeks back, my soundcard completely stoped working whatsoever. i know i shoulda followed the whole "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought, but i've always installed updates as they came for security reasons, and never had a problem until now. i've followed the 'comprehensive sound faq' and nothing realy helps. the most of been able to do is get the startup sound to play (occasionally randomly and unnintentionally). so im highly considering switching to a new linux distro. the features of ubuntu i enjoy the most are the gnome gui, ntfs3g, k3b/k9copy/libdvd, xmms, and synaptic package manager. i've also heard red hat can be pretty easy to use. if nothing else i at least need to revert to the old system kernel.

if you have any comments about my technical issue please post them here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=568741

Beans

Re: amiga/free bsd

From your topic it looks like you are having issues with Feisty.
    I have found in my experience and looking at some posts here and there what works in one version might not work in the next especially if its a beta quality software/OS.
    You might want to wait out and try gutsy, or maybe try another distro if it doesnt work out.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

what's Amiga got to do with anything? You should be able to boot the previous kernel from the grub menu you get when you first start up the computer. Does the sound work then?

Also try:

Code:
    asoundconf list
    and see if your card is in there. If so then try

Code:
    asoundconf set-default-card [name of card]
    where the name of your sound card matches the response you get from the the first command. This has worked for me in the past.

Beans

finally got it working after installing gutsy, thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mann View Post
    what's Amiga got to do with anything? .
    I'm also baffled by that, cant see the connection or even the freebsd one ?

Beans

I'm also baffled by that, cant see the connection or even the freebsd one ?
    haha +1
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts