Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas Area

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Las Vegas Area

So, where is everyone located at here in Las Vegas? I live in N. LV area a couple blocks from the 215 North and Losee.
    Andrew - Folding@Home

Beans

Re: Las Vegas Area

Hello Andrew,

I live in Henderson. A few weeks, seems like forever, I installed Ubuntu7.10 on a Delll Latitude D810. The wifi card is a "1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card". I have the ubuntu set up as a second OS. The other OS is "Windows XP". My router is a Linksys WRT54GS V5. I am having a mountian of trouble getting the Ubuntu wifi to work. There is all kinds of information available. Some people have tried to help with no success. Any ideas?

John
    sloujon@cox.net

PS If you want to do a contact by phone, please let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, I had to turn off the IPv6 stuff from one of the config files. I forget the details, but if I find the info I will let you know.
    Andrew - Folding@Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Smile Re: Las Vegas Area

Hello Peguin-Lovers,

Getting back into the development side of things... and as usu that means getting back to Linux (helps me balance my M$ karma

Been quite sometime since I've played in the penguin playground, thought I'd say hello & see who's in my neighborhood. I'm probably considered a newbie again, even though at one time I taught an Apache server course. (But I don't mind being a newbie again, it makes making mistakes easier )

Jorge Loco

PS I live near St Rose & Eastern in Las Vegas, NV.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Seems to be kind of quiet in Las Vegas when it comes to Ubuntu. I haven't heard much buzz around here about it. I admit that I haven't been using it much myself right now either. I need Windows for a lot of the day to day stuff that I do, and haven't been spending much time in Linux.

I'm waiting to find out about a space to do it, but I'm wanting to start up a computer lab close to where I live running all Ubuntu/Linux software and be able to use it for educational purposes (like classes, etc) and for homework/schoolwork needs as well, and just for internet cafe type of thing too. I'm just in the info gathering status right now, because I don't have a whole lot to work with right now.

So we'll see how that goes.

If there's anyway that I can help out with your steps back into Linux, let me know.
    Andrew - Folding@Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've met a few people who use Linux in vegas. Anyways, I don't think that a computer lab with all linux computers would work in vegas. Kids just don't have the attention span for that here. Plus, as far as computer labs, they have not been very successful in las vegas - even the cheap gaming ones in good locations. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Bakerconspiracy; June 6th, 2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Typo
    And everyone thought I was crazy because all I wanted was noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles...

New user here in Henderson. I am using Ubuntu 2008 Edition on a home built Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 machine. It is not my main machine but a number cruncher for BOINC projects. I decided to use it to try out Ubuntu. The installation was relatively easy (last night) easier than Vista which is running on my main machine. I had some problem getting my wireless internet going. After changing settings a number of times things suddenly took off. It makes you feel better having internet access incase of problems or the need for drivers. So far I am very happy with Ubuntu. I have several 32 gig solid state drives at the moment so the smaller size of Ubuntu is very attractive. I am planning to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu maybe in a dual boot setup on my other computer on one of the SSD's. I do some photography so Kubuntu is something I want to look into. I recently started working on a web page with interests and opinions of mine. It is a bit static at this time but I am working on content.
    Last edited by TypeONeg; February 2nd, 2008 at 06:24 PM.

Beans

I live in Las Vegas near Maryland and Tropicana.

Beans

Post Re: Las Vegas Area

Quote Originally Posted by TypeONeg View Post
    New user here in Henderson. I am using Ubuntu 2008 Edition on a home built Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 machine. It is not my main machine but a number cruncher for BOINC projects. I decided to use it to try out Ubuntu. The installation was relatively easy (last night) easier than Vista which is running on my main machine. I had some problem getting my wireless internet going. After changing settings a number of times things suddenly took off. It makes you feel better having internet access incase of problems or the need for drivers. So far I am very happy with Ubuntu. I have several 32 gig solid state drives at the mment so the smaller size of Ubuntu is very attractive. I am planning to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu maybe in a dual boot setup on my other computer on one of the SSD's. I do some photography so Kubuntu is something I want to look into. I recently started working on a web page with interests and opinions of mine. It is a bit static at this time but I am working on content.

Hi there, nice to meet you, since you do photography, I believe instead of looking into kubuntu, you should be more interested on Ubuntu Studio. I have it installed on my laptop and it came bundled with great software for sound and video editing, and it also has software for image editing, You can download the image here ----http://ubuntustudio.org/---- but it didn't work for me, I noticed that it was too big(800 MB) to fit on a cd, and for some reason DVD's were not working either, but there is a way to convert a base installation of ubuntu into ubuntu studio, it can be found here in the main forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I will be in Vegas on March 31, 2008. I wil bring my Kubuntu powered Panasonic Toughbook!

Open Source rules!
    Billy in Sugar Land Texas USA,
    Xubuntu 10.10.1 on my Dell Mini 9
    Ubuntu 10.10 on the Dell

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast