Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas Area

Beans

Re: Las Vegas Area

Hello All!

I just built a new econo rig (AMD X2 4200+, Abit NF-M2SV, 2 GB RAM, BFG GeForce 8500 GT, Seagate 500 GB HD, Antec NSK1380) with parts bought from Fry's (215 and LV Blvd) and Newegg. This is an Ubuntu only machine and I'm having a blast! Installed Compiz Fusion, got Flash to work, and all from just searching ubuntuforums.

This is better support than MS can ever give. Even though the same question gets asked multiple times, people are still willing to answer, and don't start to flame just bc a noob didn't search. My previous machine (Win XP) is now a dedicated DL machine - to incur the stress on the HD from bittorrent and whatever crap I might get by installing E-Mule and so forth.

Is there even a LUG in Vegas? I started experimenting w/ Ubuntu 3 years ago but was still in its infant stage. I remember back then that there was a LUG in Vegas, but don't know what happened to it. It'd be cool to start a Linux Lab, but it seems all the CS majors @ UNLV are MS whores (at least to all the ones I've talked to). Maybe if we can first build a community here on UbuntuForums, then we can all meet up and talk about it (even bring Laptops if installed on there). Does anybody use Ubuntu or any flav of Linux at work?

BTW, I'm by 215 and Flamingo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wow, you're on the opposite side of the city from me. I'm up by 215(north) and Losee. I'm not aware of any LUGs in Vegas, but I haven't been a part of the UNLV scene at all,s o I don't know what might go on around there.

I myself mostly just mess around with Ubuntu from time to time. I haven't been able to permanently make the switch yet. I've wanted to, but too much of the software I rely on requires Windows. I never have a lot of luck with WINE either. And because I love to tinker around with Linux, I end up having to reinstall, sem-often, and I can't do that with my main machine.

Once I have a good running secondary PC, I might be able to keep it running Ubuntu all the time. I'm currently anticipating the final release of Hardy and I'll go back to dual booting my laptop. Right now, I'm actually enjoying Vista Ultimate, recently upgraded from Business to Ultimate.

Anyway. I check out the forums here regularly, so if anything gets going, count me in.
    Andrew - Folding@Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

In Vegas for fifteen years and on the eastside near Trop and Sandhill,
    ««Jayzão»»

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Been in vegas for seven and a half years now, little over half my life. lol
    And I'm near Craig and Decatur. :]

I started using Ubuntu right when Feisty came out...before that, I had messed around with Freespire, but wasn't too impressed. (Later I found out I just don't like KDE. )
    Yarly!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been in Las Vegas off and on since 1999. Welcome to the new guys here, new to the NV LoCo forums at least.

I'm currently waiting for the full release of Hardy to repartition my Vista Ultimate install right now. I'm actually liking Vista since I bought my laptop about 6 months ago. I can't say I've had too much trouble with it. And I have to have Windows still for a lot of my work, but I really like to dual boot. I recently upgraded from Vista Business to Ultimate, and just used 1 big partition to start, but I'll be shrinking it down once Hardy releases. I've been pretty impressed with the alphas and betas I have installed so far.

I'm not sure how much partition size I want to give up though. Wish I had at least a 200gb HD in my laptop, only 160gb right now. Looking into upgrading soon maybe.

Anyway. Welcome again to both of you.
    Andrew - Folding@Home

Beans

So I'm wondering...do any of you guys program or develop in some way or form?

I'm a developer here in Vegas, but unfortunately I work in a M$ shop . Ah well, at home I'm a full time Ubuntu user. Installed Hardy when it was released, and although I've had some problems (for some reason it remapped /dev/cdrom to /dev/cdrom1, and other stuff...) it's been working out great.

And why is it most shops here in Vegas are M$? I've been wanting to try and find a *nix shop to work in, but I think there's only Zappos and Vegas.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TypeONeg View Post
    New user here in Henderson. I am using Ubuntu 2008 Edition on a home built Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 machine. It is not my main machine but a number cruncher for BOINC projects. I decided to use it to try out Ubuntu. The installation was relatively easy (last night) easier than Vista which is running on my main machine. I had some problem getting my wireless internet going. After changing settings a number of times things suddenly took off. It makes you feel better having internet access incase of problems or the need for drivers. So far I am very happy with Ubuntu. I have several 32 gig solid state drives at the moment so the smaller size of Ubuntu is very attractive. I am planning to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu maybe in a dual boot setup on my other computer on one of the SSD's. I do some photography so Kubuntu is something I want to look into. I recently started working on a web page with interests and opinions of mine. It is a bit static at this time but I am working on content.
    Could you please explain exactly what you did to get your WiiFi working under Ubunutu? I can't get mine working...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, I don't know of any places running linux. I work for Sierra Health Services, well I guess United Health now, and we run about 95% MS OS. All our desktops are XP boxes. And most of our servers are running 2003 or 2008 now. So I'm just a home user hobbyist for Ubuntu. I don't use it as often as I did when I first found it, but that's because the stuff I do for church I need to use Windows too. I am currently running a dual boot Vista Ultimate and Ubuntustudio 8.04.
    Andrew - Folding@Home

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Sure is quiet in here..... (crickets...)

I live near Charleston/Lamb on the east side.. Have lived in Las Vegas since 1996, having emigrated from the People's Republic Of California (San Diego). I'm a network support tech at work, mostly WinXP/Server2003, but we have a 128 node Linux cluster comprised of RHEL3/4/5 used for modeling, and I'm peripherally involved with that... I run Ubuntu on my Dell Vostro 1400 laptop, and dual boot a Dell GX620 with Vista/Ubuntu.. Hope we get more Ubuntu activity in Las Vegas..

Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi,

been in LV for 3 years, live on SW Side near UNLV, I am a grad student.

It looks like Nevada Team was started, but hasn't gone anywhere.

To be honest, I'm not sure if we have enough people yet...

I posted something to see how many people are REALLY interested.

Being close to LA, and having a lot of tourists could only help to develop the community. When someone involved in Ubuntu, for example, comes to town, wouldn't it be awesome to know there are other Ubuntu users around that would love to meet for a beer or just to talk Ubuntu or something?

Likewise, there are a ton of orgs in town I would love to get using more OpenSource, and why couldn't we?

Just a thought...let me know what you guys are thinking...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast