Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: so im thinking about trying fedora 8

Beans

Re: so im thinking about trying fedora 8

Quote Originally Posted by getaceres View Post
    I've installed those packages and thanks to them I got the fonts exactly as they looked in Feisty, but Ubuntu has enhanced (a lot) the font rendering again for Gutsy and I can't find how to apply those enhancements to Fedora. Anyone knows?
    For the other part, I prefer the fedora release system, upgrading packages when new stable versions are released instead of being forced to upgrade the entire distribution every six months.
    This isn't entirely true. Fedora releases every 6 months as well, and while you don't have to upgrade right away, the lifespan of each release is only one year, so you kind of have to do every other.

I like Ubuntu because it auto sets up the new user for what they need most. Installation could be made even easier though- for new users with no experience. I give many cd's to people who install Ubuntu themselves- but a few have problems with partitioning for dual boot. If we are focused on helping Linux adoption then Ubuntu is it- and can get simpler. Hey lets face it -driving the car is more productive than working on it for most people.
    This is reason #1 why I don't use Ubuntu anymore... It's less work for me to simply set the system up how I want it in the firstplace ten to go back and try to fix all the stuff that Ubuntu assumed I wanted.

I like fedora but I for the life of me cannot stand YUM... it sucks compared to apt/synaptic in my opinion
    If you ever find yourself testing out Fedora again, try using the yumex package manager GUI instead of the default pirut... most of us Fedora users agree that it is terrible, but yet it remains. Also, do try installing the recommended YUM plugins (fastestmirror and presto). Presto makes it use deltaRPMs wherever possible to cut down on what you have to download, and fastestmirror does just what you would expect, picks the fastest mirror. These little things make a really big difference, especially on that huge initial upgrade after install.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    This isn't entirely true. Fedora releases every 6 months as well, and while you don't have to upgrade right away, the lifespan of each release is only one year, so you kind of have to do every other.
    What I mean is that using a stable version of Fedora you get also new stable versions of packages. For example, Fedora 8 comes with Pidgin 2.2.1 (the same as Ubuntu, I think). The last version is 2.3.1 and it's stable, contains a lot of bugfixes and some new features and it's being supported by Fedora officially. If you are using Ubuntu you are stuck with the 2.2.1 version unless you use some unofficial packages or you upgrade to the next Ubuntu version.
    Although that change is not important enough, Ubuntu includes betas in its releases (think of Gaim 2.0 betas and GIMP 2.4 RC3) and you don't get the stable version when it's out. In Fedora 8 you start with GIMP 2.4 RC3 as well but now you can update to 2.4.1 which contains many bugfixes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The big thing I really like about Ubuntu is it's use of sudo instead of root. I tried to compile gksu on Fedora, but the source code had so many dependencies, I eventually gave up.

Andy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345