Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: so im thinking about trying fedora 8

qamelian is online now Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: so im thinking about trying fedora 8

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    Fedora 7 even has an update to the 2.6.23 kernel, In my experiance at least with programs I use fedora has been more up to date with latest versions. Ubuntu wouldn't even update that crappy gaim beta in fiesty.
    I've had apps break because Ubuntu was using a newer version than Fedora. I've filed bug reports on a couple of different apps because of this. In most cases, it was because something in the way a config or database was handled would change and the version of the app in Fedora couldn't read the newer version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    Pot.Kettle.Black. You just commited FUD yourself. Yes, some packages in Fedora are more up-to-date than Ubuntu, but just as many in my experience are less up-to-date. I always check out new releases of Fedora and this has been the case since at least Ubuntu 'Breezy'. Doesn't make any difference though. How frequently do you actually need the absolute newest version of an app. It happens, but not very often.
    Need? Probably almost never. However at times you do. For example, I had a hardware issue with kernels 2.6.20 and 2.6.21. All distro's that used this kernel would not play any sound on my computer. Ubuntu Feisty shipped a 2.6.20 kernel, Fedora 7 shipped a 2.6.21 kernel. Both were no-go. But then Fedora upgraded to 2.6.22 as soon as it came out, and my sound worked again. Ubuntu stayed with 2.6.20 so I couldn't use it. This, of course, could easily have gone the other way (system doesn't work after upgrade), but I can always change back to an older version.

This is, of course, anecdotal evidence. I am simply pointing out that the impression the OP was getting of Fedora being some no package manager distro (a la Slack) is completely wrong. The up to date part is pointing out that Fedora's goal is to stay up with the latest in as stable a way as possible (unlike a distro like Sid, for example). This is in sharp contrast to Ubuntu, and I thought it merited mention.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

qamelian is online now Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    Need? Probably almost never. However at times you do. For example, I had a hardware issue with kernels 2.6.20 and 2.6.21. All distro's that used this kernel would not play any sound on my computer. Ubuntu Feisty shipped a 2.6.20 kernel, Fedora 7 shipped a 2.6.21 kernel. Both were no-go. But then Fedora upgraded to 2.6.22 as soon as it came out, and my sound worked again. Ubuntu stayed with 2.6.20 so I couldn't use it. This, of course, could easily have gone the other way (system doesn't work after upgrade), but I can always change back to an older version.

This is, of course, anecdotal evidence. I am simply pointing out that the impression the OP was getting of Fedora being some no package manager distro (a la Slack) is completely wrong. The up to date part is pointing out that Fedora's goal is to stay up with the latest in as stable a way as possible (unlike a distro like Sid, for example). This is in sharp contrast to Ubuntu, and I thought it merited mention.
    Fair enough. Fedora was my distro of choice before I switched to Ubuntu and I really enjoyed it back then. Although I continue testing each release, I can't see me switching back anytime soon. It still looks good and has some great features, but there are some things that stopped working in it for me after Fedora 4 that used to work right off the bat. If Ubuntu didn't work so well with my current hardware, I'd probably go back to Fedora and find ways to work around the issues I had. I certainly consider it a distro worth recommending to others. It just isn't right for me right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

installed fedora 8 this day and I like the overall look and feel. I added the livna repo, enabled multimedia and some other usual things I do after installation and now everything is ok. maybe it will be my distro of choice, at least until the release of hardy heron
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans

I too am really liking this release. Much better than F7.

Beans

Tried Fedora 8 live on my Gutsy system. First off the screen rez is on the money and one big wierd surprise:
    On my amd 64, 2 gig ram, nvidiaGt7300 digital system the Gnome 3d window tells me "no effects available". Moving windows creates artifacts all over.

On my old, beat up Compaq stock amd sempron system the screen image and 3D effects are perfect. Out of the box, they just were there! Now, I don't know what to think. Linux makes for strange things sometimes in this Apple studio

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by posterpaint View Post
    Tried Fedora 8 live on my Gutsy system. First off the screen rez is on the money and one big wierd surprise:
    On my amd 64, 2 gig ram, nvidiaGt7300 digital system the Gnome 3d window tells me "no effects available". Moving windows creates artifacts all over.

On my old, beat up Compaq stock amd sempron system the screen image and 3D effects are perfect. Out of the box, they just were there! Now, I don't know what to think. Linux makes for strange things sometimes in this Apple studio
    , of course it does. Your older computer probably has an old video adapter, either ATI or Intel. These chips have open-source 3d drivers and can handle desktop effects (used sparingly). You new Nvidia chip needs the proprietary nvidia driver (just like under Ubuntu) to have any 3d capabilities. Visit rpm.livna.org, install their repo and use yum to install the nvidia driver ('yum search nvidia' should turn up the package).
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

So here's my beef with Ubuntu. Every single app in Gutsy is at a version number freeze. Gutsy shipped with Gimp 2.4 RC3 and it will stay that way through the entire 18 month support lifecycle.

Fedora 8 shipped with Gnome 2.4 RC3 and through the magic of YUM, updated me to 2.4 final.

If a distro is going to ship with a beta or RC version of an app, it should be updated to the GM version when released, packaged and tested. Ubuntu doesn't do that, sadly...

Andy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
    So here's my beef with Ubuntu. Every single app in Gutsy is at a version number freeze. Gutsy shipped with Gimp 2.4 RC3 and it will stay that way through the entire 18 month support lifecycle.

Fedora 8 shipped with Gnome 2.4 RC3 and through the magic of YUM, updated me to 2.4 final.

If a distro is going to ship with a beta or RC version of an app, it should be updated to the GM version when released, packaged and tested. Ubuntu doesn't do that, sadly...

Andy
    Yeah, thats the main reason why I prefer Fedora over Ubuntu. Fedora does this with stable versions of software too, for example, Pidgin. It doesn't upgrade big stuff like Gnome, but that is understandable. I agree, its crazy that Ubuntu is stuck on an RC version of some software when it could easily upgrade to at least the stable version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Just tried Fedora (8) again. Software installation was slow. The fonts were really bad. I was surprised by that! I prefer Ubuntu installer also. Nice artwork, better gnome defaults but Fedora had rough edges I don't see in Ubuntu. Reminded me of the old days. New users are surely better off in Ubuntu IMHO -not just for ease but for polish.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast