Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should we switch to Ubuntu? Pinoys let us know!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Why should we switch to Ubuntu? Pinoys let us know!!

Dami ng lumilipat, why make a switch?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Why should we switch to Ubuntu? Pinoys let us know!!

Why not?
    I am a Man of Truth. I am a Free Human Person. I am a Peacemaker.
    ** Independent Multimedia Artist in Pasig **

Beans

In my case because it's fun, keeps my brain working, it is something new to learn. Also Ubuntu has opened my eyes to how much I can do with a computer. I get to tell my computer what to do, it doesn't get to tell me.

Cart
    Retired and loving it
    life is a hell of a thing to happen to a human being

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ericartman View Post
    In my case because it's fun, keeps my brain working, it is something new to learn. Also Ubuntu has opened my eyes to how much I can do with a computer. I get to tell my computer what to do, it doesn't get to tell me.

Cart
    I wouldn't find better words for that!!!
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    whylinuxisbetter.net | help.ubuntu.com | Why we love Linux?
    Find Ubuntu user next to you: http://www.flippinsweetdude.com/maps

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

sorry if this comes across rude in anyway, its just you see people asking this question all the time, sept instead of ubuntu its linux, but to get to my point, You shouldnt switch 2 ubuntu unless you really want to, if you use linux already or have done for many years then why not give it a try, if your coming from windows then ya, same again, giving it a try never hurt anyone (back up all your stuff you CANT afford to lose before hand) as i've always said to anyone moving from winblows to linux 'its time to wave goodbye to that silly clown suit of an OS, and get to know your computer properly for the first time'
    anyone new 2 linux, and i know someones bound to moan when I say this, get 2 know the CLI, even though Gnome/Kubuntu & other window managers have lovely gui tools 2 make your life easier, your still going 2 need 2 one day, and when you do, you'll never look back.

good luck 2 anyone new to ubuntu
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Beans

oOJINxOo posting the switch question to the philippine base users can lead to an interesting discussion,

for example

to a non technical savy user, why switch, when my cousin / friend / brother had a pirated xp installer? ordinary homes user even believes, that you don't pay for the OS, but you only pay a small fraction to the technician for installing the win OS added with tons of probably pirated awesome kiddy games.

to a technical oriented user: from an IT student, why bother switching when i'm so busy studying an almost all MS base tools and curriculum?

to an office user: eh? we're still running win98 and its still lean and mean, usable isolated( no internet connection) office pc, why would I/we switch?

these questions are really common to the philippine setting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

One of the underlying assumptions for using Ubuntu--and Linux in general--is that there is willful intent on the part of the user to use the distro at his disposal, to learn the rudiments at his own pace, and to share in the risks and benefits of this experience. And this I believe is true for everyone who has been using Ubuntu.

Now why Ubuntu? Well, we can say a lot of good things about Ubuntu. It's virus-free. It has cool thingies like Compiz and GIMP. It works just like Windows (even better in fact!) that I can even customize my desktop to look like Vista. (A big nyahahaha on that one!)

But if we want to persuade others to switch to Ubuntu, we have to market the Ubuntu experience creatively--and it's not about telling but showing them what exciting things our little distro hides under its sleeves.

Beans

Vista Ultimate: P 26,000.00
    MS Office 2007 Pro: 17,000.00
    Xara Extreme: 10,500.00
    Paintshop Pro: 4,500.00
    Total: P 58,000.00

Ubuntu Gutsy with Compiz, Open Office, XaraLX, GIMP: 15.00 (cost of CD installer)

Or you can be Captain Jack Sparrow's buddy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

...a bit of all :
    it's free
    it's muuuuuuch more reliable
    it has no virus
    for (almost) every problem there's a solution on the forum
    it's more cute
    If jesus walked on the water, imagine him surfing...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by loell View Post
    oOJINxOo posting the switch question to the philippine base users can lead to an interesting discussion,

for example

to a non technical savy user, why switch, when my cousin / friend / brother had a pirated xp installer? ordinary homes user even believes, that you don't pay for the OS, but you only pay a small fraction to the technician for installing the win OS added with tons of probably pirated awesome kiddy games.

to a technical oriented user: from an IT student, why bother switching when i'm so busy studying an almost all MS base tools and curriculum?

to an office user: eh? we're still running win98 and its still lean and mean, usable isolated( no internet connection) office pc, why would I/we switch?

these questions are really common to the philippine setting.
    you make a good point, I suppose the question could also be 'what advantanges are there to people switching', the first thing that comes to mind is a less M$ dependant world, which would hopefully result in a much more computer savy world, but what ever works really.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast