Thread: MySQL Search

Hybrid View

Beans

MySQL Search

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to develop a good search method for a PHP-based "web application", and I'm having problems. I realize that other options might be easier and more efficient, but there's a few extenuating circumstances...

Full details are here: http://www.kyle-brady.com/2007/11/07/mysql-search/

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: MySQL Search

What some people do in this case is append all the relevant fields (the fields you want to be searchable) into a text record in the database and just search that field. I have not done this myself, so I am not sure how fast/slow it is but I know that there are sites that do this (have worked on them, but not in a major decision-making position).

EDIT: After looking up the site below, I believe that it is the far better way to do this (rather than the way I described above)
    See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...xt-search.html for more information.
    Last edited by smartbei; November 8th, 2007 at 07:34 AM.
    Intel E6300 / MSI P4M890M / 2GB DDR2 677 / 80GB + 1TB SATA2 / GeForce 6200TC / DL DVD+-RW / Dell 24" U2410

Beans

I thought of that, and tried it before using what I do now, and it's really slow. Very slow.

Not to mention the code is really ugly to make that work. I was hoping someone had ideas on a "MySQL Search Algorithm", like a Holy Grail of sorts...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Which are you talking about? Appending all the data to a single field or using the FULLTEXT index?

Could you give me a bit more information about the type of data you want to search, the amount of data to be searched, etc?
    Intel E6300 / MSI P4M890M / 2GB DDR2 677 / 80GB + 1TB SATA2 / GeForce 6200TC / DL DVD+-RW / Dell 24" U2410

Beans

Sure.

The tables are strucutred a little differently depending on which is being accessed, but it's all very similar...all content is separated into different fields: title, body, user, date, time, etc.

I had previously tried condensing all of a row's data into one entry, although inside a text file... this was slow.

How would I use FULLTEXT for this? That sounds like a good idea, potentially, but I'm a little blurry on what that would do/how it would work...

Thanks