Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going to buy my first guitar-- help :)

Beans

Arrow I'm going to buy my first guitar-- help :)

I'm getting a guitar next week and have been checking online, there are some great resources and I'm learning quite a bit.

I am pretty set on getting an acoustic right now, and am curious if there's any specific models you folks would recommend as well as any online stores y'all could vouch for.

TIA!!

EDIT: Budget is around ~$300.
    Last edited by herbster; November 8th, 2007 at 04:18 AM.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: I'm going to buy my first guitar-- help :)

Since you are just starting,might i suggest you look for a second hand guitar...When I played guitar,both of mine were second hand (or as some people say,twice loved.). Also,do learn to play by ear,it will serve you well when you are ready to jam with other acoustic musicians.

Beans

Re: I'm going to buy my first guitar-- help :)

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

You might have a look at musiciansfriend.com. They have scratch & dent sales. Pretty good choice of makers, price range, etc. Find a good local music store and get to know the sales people. They can offer many insights into an instrument, not to mention you'll be able to try before you buy. One word of advice, when you do decide on one - get the best you can afford. Nothing is more frustrating than having a guitar you have to fight to play. Especially when first starting. Good Luck, It's a wonderful journey.

Beans

Hey, try BestBuy's Fender StarCaster package - that's what I've got for myself: it's got the guitar, amp, gig bag, cable, strap, tuner, DVD, strings and 3 picks - made my day!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i agree with upfwnv03, get the best you can afford. that said, my first guitar was a washburn acoustic. like it and still own it. i wouldnt get their cheapest model though (just me). mine is similar to the ones you posted in the $250-300 range.

are there any guitar stores near you? i would highly recommend playing a few before deciding on one. even if you cant play a note, hold them fiddle around with them, look at the craftsmanship (are there big blobs of glue visible.... what is the hardware like, etc). i am a fan of new/used dealers. lots of times you can get a really nice, barely played guitar for cheapish. i like supporting the hometown guys too. get to know them, you are going to need lots of strings arent gonna want to wait on shipping!

one other thing.... a decent case is well worth the money.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

whatever you find online, find a local store and play it first also, it's fine to start playing by ear so you'll learn to "tune" them over time, but some music theory is always a good thing. don't underestimate that if you plan on sticking with it.

p.s. musician's friend is the best online resource as you've seen.

Beans

There's some nice Canadian acoustics by a company called Seagull. Pretty affordable and a very nice sound.
    http://www.seagullguitars.com/intro.htm
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    UbuntuSecurity
    Blawg
    Questions pertaining to "stealthed" ports kind of make me LOL IRL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Whatever you do don't get an Esteban - buzzing strings, etc. - the "deal" really is too good to be true.

Yeah check out Musician's Friend. You could subscribe to their free catalog, it is great, but be prepared to have catalogs coming out your ears.

Oh and my advice is to buy a stand, too. All the hardcores sites talk about babying your guitar, put it in the case every night, etc - but if you really want to learn it, you want to have it accessible, so that you can doodle on it any time you have 5-10 minutes, or an hour. And one way to do that is buy a simple nice stand you can set it on, instead of having to unpack it from the case every time.

For this reason, don't go nuts price wise on your first guitar. You don't want something you are afraid to touch. Three hundred should be perfect for a first guitar + stand and little odds and ends. Like a set of strings, etc. An electric tuner too. These things add up! But you gotta have a tuner, at least to start.

(This is all assuming you are just starting)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Estebans are pieces of ****, my old roommate had one, the frets looke like if someone had taken a metal file to them hahaha, wow what a pos.

Anyway, Seagulls are awesome acoustics, definitely top-notch guitars. My friend has an Ibanez acoustic which sounds pretty nice, it's brighter than usual which works for me.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast