Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I'm going to buy my first guitar-- help :)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: I'm going to buy my first guitar-- help :)

Have you checked out Long & McQuade in your area? Haven't been to the one in Brampton, but have been to other stores in BC and Ontario. Pretty good selection at decent prices.

I'm not sure if I would recommend going for a lefty. When you start off the fingers are going to feel awkward either way, so might as well learn on the right handed guitar - that way when you progress to your next guitar you'll have a better selection.

Beans

thanks n3tfury! I don't doubt it

josephus,

I went to the L&M, they are a very good store indeed but the Yamaha is cheaper at another store and they had excellent customer service, very knowledgeable and friendly guys. The L&M guy didn't seem to want to spend a minute with me when I told him my budget's $300 and I'm a lefty, haha

And yeah, the fingers do feel awkward both ways but as I was playing some of the guitars today the lefty style was definitely better for me.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans

Okay so I decided to go to the L&M's near my house and wound up spending 2hours there. The sales rep was unbelievably helpful and super knowledgeable, and I must have tried every single guitar in the acoustic section, lol. I actually spent time holding and playing a bunch of left and right guitars, and since this guy actually spent time and was helping me hit the strings right, etc. with both left and right, I realized there isn't much of a difference in the feeling at all. I was going back and forth from side to side with guitars to see just how different it is but as a raw beginner I realized I might as well go right, it's not that big a deal.

I just bought myself a Takamine EG341SC acoustic-electric!! It's a thing of beauty and was at a great price ($370). I told the family to get me the guitar for my b-day (today! ) and I'll buy the amp myself. I am SO pumped, just got home and am going to start my journey tomorrow since it's all family time tonight and gotta get up early in the morn'...

Yeehaw!!!
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiics!

Beans

Just posted some pics in the Guitar Players thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...50#post3786550

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567