Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a school laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Looking for a school laptop

I am currently looking for a laptop for taking notes, browsing the web, and word processing/power points. I am looking for something lightweight but with good battery life. The computer does not need to be extremely fast but decent will do. Windows Vista is fine but I would prefer Xp/Linux/No os with about 1 gigabyte of ram and a 60 gb+ hard drive is fine. Price is also a factor, I would prefer the laptop to be under $1000 or cheaper. What would you recommend ? Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Looking for a school laptop

use ubuntu on the laptop in my sig...check dell buisness for deals of the 1501....mine was 600 bux and it works perfect for programming wordprocessing, cool compiz desk effects, it is the perfect to-go machine for a computer science major <-me
    Dell Inspiron 1501 - AMD Turion 64 x 2, 1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm, ATI RADEON Xpress1150, 80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    My [NOTSO] Current Desktop
    Check out my website about the OpenMoko Linux smart phone

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xXx 0wn3d xXx View Post
    I am currently looking for a laptop for taking notes, browsing the web, and word processing/power points. I am looking for something lightweight but with good battery life. The computer does not need to be extremely fast but decent will do. Windows Vista is fine but I would prefer Xp/Linux/No os with about 1 gigabyte of ram and a 60 gb+ hard drive is fine. Price is also a factor, I would prefer the laptop to be under $1000 or cheaper. What would you recommend ? Thank you.

dell outlet.

I recently got a 17" insprion w/2G & 1.8G turion for 700 shipped to my door. I found one w/ 2 160gig hdd's for a raid setup.

Only problem I have now is trying to install gutsy on a hardware raid 1...

Beans

My laptop was $900, and has the following:

* Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2 GB RAM
    * 160 GB hd
    * Fingerprint reader (cool, and works on Linux I hear, but I haven't tried it)
    * DVD +RW
    * Integrated Wireless (flawless on Feisty and Gutsy)

It is a Lenovo ThinkPad R61i.

It is durable, and smallish (14.1 in monitor). It is perfect...

Beans
    Hidden!

HP dv6000, $900 at Circuit City (yeah yeah yeah, but easy financing!). 120GB HD, 1GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, DVD-R with Lightscribe, wireless, etc.

I know you can get a surprisingly solid Acer Aspire for under $600, I've found.

One big thing: get the least amount of RAM you can, it's always cheaper to buy your own than upgrade from the company. No joke, at Circuit City three weeks ago I picked up THREE sticks of RAM, 2 DDR2 666MHz and one DDR 333 stick, for around $100 TOTAL. They were $29 EACH before tax.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    HP dv6000, $900 at Circuit City (yeah yeah yeah, but easy financing!). 120GB HD, 1GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, DVD-R with Lightscribe, wireless, etc..
    I have the exact same, except mine has 2GB RAM. I definitely recommend.
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Now, I am considering a tablet. The choice is between this:

HP TC4400

HP TX1320

Could anyone provide some recommendations on these ? Both are good price and power.

Beans

I don't know if you're in the US or not, but if there's a Fry's near your place look for their deals. They frequently have HP's for $499 that would work great with a copy of Ubuntu.
    You'll find it. Just keep looking.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    I have the exact same, except mine has 2GB RAM. I definitely recommend.
    I upgraded mine to 2GB after, unbelievably, finding a stick at Circuit City for $29. It made Vista run well, but it made Ubuntu run like butter. Hooray for being able to turn on every visual effect I want!
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by xXx 0wn3d xXx View Post
    Here's the Inspiron Notebook 1420 N with:
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5250 (1.5GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    Ubuntu version 7.04
    1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    80GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Here it is:
    It has Feisty on it, you can upgrade it to Gusty if you want by using:
    Code:
    gksudo "update-manger -c"
    BTW, it's $724, if you want an lower price one get the desktop one, which is $499. If you want it, cough up $1,000 dollars and have $300 left.
    *LFS USER #20429*
    My SLAX.org Profile
    *USER OF GENTOO!*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast