Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Wine hurting Linux Games dramatically ?

Beans

Re: Is Wine hurting Linux Games dramatically ?

This is true. I think the best idea is optimizing games for wine then releasing a little side linux client that uses wine but is more optimized (kinda what google is doing) Working to patch a special cleint and move files over etc (a la Quake wars ) There are ways they can ease over into development or at least help their games reach a larger marketplace. Standards in some terms of linux itself would help people be more interested...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rudeboyskunk View Post
    To be honest I don't know why people get so worked up over this issue. Wine is nothing but a temporary fix on the matter. We just have to be patient. We will get our ports, our native games, etc. all in good time. Slowly but surely the gaming companies are coming around. We saw it with CCP and Valve. What does Blizzard use to run their servers? That's right, Linux. They know it rocks. Once they introduce a Linux port, -everybody- will fall in line. It's just a matter of time.
    blizzard won't release a linux port because they don't want to support it and it's not worth it to them. even id considered dropping linux support with their latest game Rage and stated they only do it, basically for the kicks. back to blizzard though, every thread on their suggestions forum where users ask for linux support gets deleted. hell, it's a concession if they even code the windows build to work with WINE. they're just not interested. i agree though, if starcraft II had linux support that may very well be the killer app that starts a sea change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by greentiger View Post
    i agree though, if starcraft II had linux support that may very well be the killer app that starts a sea change.
    maybe the change is already happening?
    Slowly but still it could be happening

X3 and EVE anyone?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin-Carrot View Post
    maybe the change is already happening?
    Slowly but still it could be happening

X3 and EVE anyone?
    with id talking about stopping linux support? i doubt it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thats nice.

Epic has always stated that they dont officially support linux installs of their titles as well.

Beans

A solution would be to buy Linux native games and stop promoting the Windows Operating System !

There are some good games available on Linux : Doom 3, Quake 3, UT 2003+, Ankh, X2, Coldwar, Northland...

Are Linux user Microsoft Windows lovers ? Why use Linux if we buy Windows software ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

They don't sell a "Linux version" of at least three of the games you mention, so even if you use the Linux native client, you still have to buy the "Windows version" of the game first. No matter what you do, you are still supporting Windows gaming.

I think it is important to separate the software from the operating system. Buying games that are made for Windows and using them on Linux does not actually support Microsoft, it only supports the developers of those games. If you boycott Windows gaming, you are not hurting Microsoft or doing anything that will impact the Windows install base. At most, you might hurt the profits a few game developers. That will never make them develop games for Linux, it just means they will have slightly less money to spend on their next development project, no matter what platform it is developed on.

The only way you get games developed natively for Linux is for more people to use Linux. If gaming through Wine allows more people to use Linux, then that is a good thing for Linux. It is really that simple.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well said, sir.

Beans

I do enjoy reading veteran posters put the try-hard n00bs in their place for asking stupid questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    They don't sell a "Linux version" of at least three of the games you mention, so even if you use the Linux native client, you still have to buy the "Windows version" of the game first. No matter what you do, you are still supporting Windows gaming.

I think it is important to separate the software from the operating system. Buying games that are made for Windows and using them on Linux does not actually support Microsoft, it only supports the developers of those games. If you boycott Windows gaming, you are not hurting Microsoft or doing anything that will impact the Windows install base. At most, you might hurt the profits a few game developers. That will never make them develop games for Linux, it just means they will have slightly less money to spend on their next development project, no matter what platform it is developed on.

The only way you get games developed natively for Linux is for more people to use Linux. If gaming through Wine allows more people to use Linux, then that is a good thing for Linux. It is really that simple.
    The problem is : How can we count the number of true Linux users who use wine and Windows games on tjeir computer ?

For instance, if I am the Electronic Arts CEO : I publish one game on Linux and Windows.
    The windows game sells 1,000,000
    The Linux game sells 200
    Among the 1,000,000, 5,000 use it on Linux through Wine.
    Then what will be the deicison ? Drop the support of Linux and focus on Windows.

Wine will never be a suitable solution for gaming on Linux : Microsoft released Direct X 10, not really support in Wine so far. They will publish Direct X 10.1, then Direct X 11....
    Wine will always have 1 to two years behind.

This is not a solution. I myself use Wine for old games that will never be published on Linux and are old : total Annihilation, or Dark Colony.

But I prefer buying Native Linux games than buying the Windows games, even if they are a lot more expensive.

Take a look on what is happening on Mac OS X side : they have true users and fans. They buy Mac OS Software. The Mac OS X gaming market is profitable and they have got the respect from big publishers like Electronic Arts. They look serious to game developers.

What about Linux ? Hum, it hard to say...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast