Thread: Home Automation - My Pet Project

Beans

Home Automation - My Pet Project

For those interested, this is my pet project. (see attached diagram) I'm automating a few functions in the house and implementing a TrixBox phone system and media center.

Currently, the house is wired for Gigabit and WAP's are in place. Structured wiring panel is installed with hub. I'm looking for an OMNI controller. I've selected UPB as my light automation protocol. Security sensors are purchased and need to be installed.

Experiments with MythTV have been less than impressive due to general bugginess and the remote control I selected. LinuxMCE may be the next step.

The doorbell seems a little foo-foo at first glance, but is really critical. I can't hear the blasted thing with the A/C for my server rack in my office and I have people coming by regularly during the day. Installing three more doorbells seems a ridiculous option.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Home Automation - My Pet Project

This sounds exactly like what I'm trying to do. I know it's been a while since this post and I doubt you're even subscribed, but on the off chance you are... Do you have an update or a project page that I could look at/learn from?

Beans

Re: Home Automation - My Pet Project

Quote Originally Posted by alexhrdr View Post
    This sounds exactly like what I'm trying to do. I know it's been a while since this post and I doubt you're even subscribed, but on the off chance you are... Do you have an update or a project page that I could look at/learn from?
    I don't have a page currently, but that may change since I've some stuff to report. Things are in way too much flux. The only constant is the topology.

I just finished doing a remod in my kitchen to support some of the lighting I'm doing. I also have installed the structured wiring panel and ran additional electrical to my closet. The structured panel is using 4 pieces of 2-3/4 plastic conduit for all the wiring to ease fishing wire through to the panel.

I found a telephone distribution box with test jacks that with some modification should make a nice interface to the trunk for the omni system.

My trixbox was about to go proto, then I lost a drive. I'm currently looking at systems that support CF drives and are fanless.

I'd be more than happy to share info you have questions.

Jim