Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cant watch .iso videos (dvd) from frontend +more problems

Beans

cant watch .iso videos (dvd) from frontend +more problems

i turned all my saved DVD's from VIDEO_TS directories to .iso files. mythtv now recognizes them and plays them fine on the backend/frontend machine. however i cant seem to get anything to play on the remote frontend. if i go to

Media Library -> watch video

i can see my movies, but the covers from IMDB are gone, info is still there. but when i try to play them, it says that the file does not exist. does the frontend have to mount the backends /var/lib/ partition (thats where all the recordings and movie files are) to be able to watch them? i can see and watch the recordings (which are also on /var/lib, but its slow and glitchy like is explained below) on the remote frontend, which doesnt really make sense that it can see those files but not the videos. i have the video directory set to the default /var/lib/mythtv/videos (same as the backend/frontend) but it doesnt work on the frontend only box. if i have to mount the partition, how do i do that? and how do i make it so that the front end does that automatically?

im also having a problem where if i try to watch live tv on the frontend only box, the playback it very glitches and its like the processor cant handle it, but its SDTV on a 1.8GHz processor and a a good video card (nvidia 7300GT + nvidia drivers +video out via svid). the backend is wireless and the frontend is wired to the router, do you think its getting hung up through the network? the backend is just in the other room, and its wireless G, so i igure it can handle the mpeg-2 stream, but maybe not? maybe up it to a wireless-N setup? in addition, i cant seem to get a static IP address setup on the wireless. if i try manua config, it will no longer conntect and im sure all the settings are correct.

and the other problem im having is the audio on the frontend. its VERY low. if i try to turn it up with the tv, i have to turn it up very loud and i get a buzzing/humming as a result.

Backend/Frontend machine:
    asus p4g8x delux MB
    p4 2.4 GHz
    1 GB ram
    320 GB HD - winxp
    500 GB HD - myth (15 GB for "/", 2 GB for swap, rest on "/var/lib")
    ati 9600 vid card - open source drivers
    hauppage pvr-150 tuner card

Frontend machine
    intel dg965pz MB
    celeron 1.8 GHz processor
    1 GB ram
    40 GB HD
    nvidia 7300GT + nvidia drivers

any help on any or all of this is much appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: cant watch .iso videos (dvd) from frontend +more problems

Yes, you do have to mount the videos on the frontend. You can enable NFS in MCC. Be sure to put in the Mythbuntu CD before you open up and his the apply button though. It pulls a few for the packages off of the CD.

As for your video stuttering, consider enabling the options for caching the audio under the general settings page on the frontend.

Audio stuff: same thing here, turn the default mixers on that same page up a bit.

Beans

thanks. i enabled NFS, but i dont know how to use it. i want to have the drive mounted on startup so that i can access the videos on startup. someone on another forum mentioned that i would have to make some changes to /etc/fstab but i dont exactly know how to do that from within mythbuntu.

i know ill have to excecute a code similar to this: (make changes as necessary!)

Code:
     mount -t nfs 192.168.2.101:/var/lib /var/lib
    and then what would i have to point mythtv front end to? the same default location?

Beans
    Distro

Okay so after you enabled NFS in mcc, if you look at /etc/exports, you can see what shares are already being exported.

On your frontend machine, you will then add something to /etc/fstab like this:

Code:
    mythdell://var/lib/mythtv  /var/lib/mythtv   nfs     defaults,user,soft,nointr 0 0
    This is for my setup (with a machine called mythdell)

Hopefully you can make sense of it.

After you do that, it will automount upon reboot.

Do a test mount by mounting like this (before reboot)

Code:
    mount /var/lib/mythtv

Beans

ok i did (used the IP address of the backend because it couldnt find it from the hostname) that and when i try to mount it, it says "failed, reason given by server: Permission denied"

from the frontend i typed this in /etc/fstab

Code:
    192.168.2.101://var/lib/mythtv  /var/lib/mythtv   nfs     defaults,user,soft,nointr 0 0
    where '192.168.2.101' is the IP for my backend named 'MythTVBackend'
    Last edited by gsrcrxsi; November 7th, 2007 at 06:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gsrcrxsi View Post
    ok i did (used the IP address of the backend because it couldnt find it from the hostname) that and when i try to mount it, it says "failed, reason given by server: Permission denied"

from the frontend i typed this in /etc/fstab

Code:
    192.168.2.101l://var/lib/mythtv  /var/lib/mythtv   nfs     defaults,user,soft,nointr 0 0
    where '192.168.2.101' is the IP for my backend named 'MythTVBackend'
    You appear to have typed your ip address wrong in that. It looks like you have 192.168.2.101l rather than 192.168.2.101.

Also, make sure that is the correct path that you want to export, it may not be identical.

Beans

i typed it wrong here, not in the terminal.

that path is correct. to be clear im doing all this from the frontend right? not the backend? when i try to mount, it says the backend is denying me permission, so wouldnt i have to change something there?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gsrcrxsi View Post
    i typed it wrong here, not in the terminal.

that path is correct. to be clear im doing all this from the frontend right? not the backend? when i try to mount, it says the backend is denying me permission, so wouldnt i have to change something there?
    Make sure its the same exported path on the backend. You can try to update the exported filesystems on the backend by typing.

Code:
    exportfs -a

Beans

ok im starting to get a little confused now.

do i have to type anything in the /etc/exports?

i know it seems like you are telling me the same thing over and over, but im a n00b and dont really understand how all this stuff works.

ill try to provide as much info about my system as i can

backend:
    hostname: MythTVBackend
    IP: 192.168.2.101 ( for now. DHCP wireless, i still cant make this static, it wont work for some reason)

frontend
    hostname: MythTVFrontend
    IP: 192.168.2.102 (DHCP wired)

what exactly do i have to do on the backend and the frontend to do what i want to do?

my /etc/exports on the backend looks like:

Code:
    /var/lib/mythtv/videos    *(-some options-)
    /var/lib/mythtv/recordings    *(-some options-)
    /var/lib/mythtv/pictures    *(-some options-)
    /var/lib/mythtv/games   *(-some options-)
    and on the frontend

Code:
    /var/lib/mythtv/videos    *(-some options-)
    /var/lib/mythtv/pictures    *(-some options-)
    /var/lib/mythtv/games   *(-some options-)

Beans

note : -some options- just represents that there are options listed there. im not at the terminal so i cant see for sure and i dont remmeber exactly what they are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast