Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu vs viasta

Beans

Re: ubuntu vs viasta

Quote Originally Posted by Chymera
    Reporting a crash is like getting slapped and then asked how it felt
    Except that it helps you not get slapped again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Chymera View Post
    6) Linux systems don't get bloated as much as windows systems
    This is entirely true... however, when i was using windows, i avoided the issue by freshly installing the os twice a year (the bloating usually becomes annoying after some 6 months of use)... In Ubuntu, in order to keep getting the newest stuff (and avoid upgrading, which is a total mess), I also have to do a new install, also, every 6 months.
    You do ?

I don't, i'm using ubuntu since hoary and i have always upgraded with no problem. Sorry but this argument is really irrelevant for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    Except that it helps you not get slapped again.
    It's not to say that i never reported a crash, i did, some 3-4 times, and neither ms nor ubuntu ever got them fixed.... ms actually fixed it eventually but on the next release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    You do ?

I don't, i'm using ubuntu since hoary and i have always upgraded with no problem. Sorry but this argument is really irrelevant for me.
    Well i was referring to my machine, obviously, or else i would have posted the ram usage of your machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Back to the first part of your post. How is a legal copy of Vista better than an illegal copy?
    First of all you have access to the official updates (you can also have that via an illegal copy, if you call a stolen legal copy illegal)

Beans

I don't know what you did to make Ubuntu use 900 mb of RAM. On my computer it uses a little more than 400 mb with Rhythmbox, Liferea, and Compiz running.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The former asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33
    UbuntuForums member #98464 | Ubuntu Help & Support
    Never run any command unless you understand exactly what it will do. [link]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chymera View Post
    It's not to say that i never reported a crash, i did, some 3-4 times, and neither ms nor ubuntu ever got them fixed.... ms actually fixed it eventually but on the next release
    Good; keep reporting them. That way there's a chance they'll be fixed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Back to the first part of your post. How is a legal copy of Vista better than an illegal copy?

With an illegally activated copy of Vista, you have to keep an eye on what updates you install - and generally take a lot more care when connecting to Microsoft.

When SP1 for vista is released, it will not be a problem for legal vista owners - whereas everybody else will probabaly be looking for workarounds to stop the OEM emulation fixes being nuked.

In regards to the OP, I have had a very similar experience with Vista. In fact I have found that Vista works a lot better with my hardware - most notably wireless/keyboard and trackpad.

Vista uses Ram in a very different manner to Ubuntu. It is unfair to compare the 2 by just viewing system monitor.
    My Vista install is every bit as 'snappy' and responsive as my Ubuntu install. It is also just as stable.
    Asus 1015px
    Macbook Pro 4.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    Good; keep reporting them. That way there's a chance they'll be fixed.
    Since you are an ubuntu member you're probably familliar with the heap of never-read bug reports in launchpad... It's like writing a complaint letter to the government, chances are it won't be read, and chances are that people reading it will be too busy making some constitutions which end up crashing the original constitution during upgrade

... if you understand what i mean

Beans

Wow your linux experience suck.
    I haven't tried Vista, and probably never will.

But most people report Vista as worse than XP, and my experience is that Ubuntu runs better than XP, or at least equally well, on 4 different systems.

I know a LOT of people that have removed Vista from their systems, and only one person I know use VISTA.
    Unfortunately some of the people I know have had to buy a new copy of Windows XP, which I get a little bit angry about, because Microsoft make twice the money on a lousy product.

Several people i know have bought new laptops recently, they have all expressed much discontent that Vista is slow, their old programs don't work, they can't do stuff they could on their old laptop, and it takes forever to boot.
    Some even thought the stores were scamming them, because their brand new laptop worked so poorly.

I haven't had your poor experience with any of the programs you mention, so I can't offer much help on it.
    Except maybe you have some media files with bad headers.
    Is it the same files that cause the crashes with Amarok?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast