Thread: computer admin won't install vista because of networking problem - my story

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Unhappy computer admin won't install vista because of networking problem - my story

i work at an elementary school.

the 'computer' guy is the science teacher.

i need 64bit so i can convert video to dvd mpeg 2 faster. he claims that no one can have vista or xp64, even though he has vista dvd's, because vista won't work with the network setup.

my only guess is that the internet isp requires some small program on the computer to periodically verify the computer's identity to the isp for access purposes. without that program the computer doesn't have internet access and that program doesn't run under 64bit or vista.

now if that isn't the case...i have no idea why vista doesn't work on the school's network.

i put in a ubuntu live cd and sure enough my computer didn't have network. why. again i think it is because of the program the isp requires people to use. probably also has something to do with the isp's proxy blocking unwanted xxx and online game sites from the kids in the school.

it's frustrating. not 10 feet from my office is a line of 6 computers connected wirelessly to a access point under my coworkers desk. i pop in a ubuntu live cd and bingo, internet. why? because of the access point nulifies the need for the isp access program i bet.

so why does this 'computer' guy/science teacher have networking issues with vista?

maybe it has something to do with network neighborhood not working. the whole school is networked and any computer can print on any printer shared throughout the whole school as well as share data. vista should be able to join that right?
    Last edited by morequarky; November 6th, 2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    'It seems as if we are sitting here tuning our Ferraris but feel compelled to shout out "I hate Ford!" at least once a day.' by user MikeGreen
    Ubuntu Search

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: computer admin won't install vista because of networking problem - my story

wrong place to ask what's wrong with vista - you'll get too many answers

seriously though, if your network admin doesn't want vista on his network, then you don't get vista on your network. if you can't live with his rules, move your machine off his network and get wireless broadband.