Thread: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error on migrated Win XP vdi

Beans

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error on migrated Win XP vdi

I have a WinXP vdi image that is running fine under one machine running 1.5.0 OSE and 7.10. I migrated that vdi file to another machine (also 7.10) and created a new VM under a new install of 1.5.2. I get the Windows splash screen and then the BSOD UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. RTM and posted on the Virtualbox board but I'm coming up empty.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error on migrated Win XP vdi

I have with XP Pc's but not in a Virtual PC, the fix i used at work would be to boot to the XP cd select recovery console select the C: drive and run a fixboot, and then a fixmbr

Beans

That was a good idea. The cd did boot and I got past the first screen but after I picked R for repair my system slowed down to a crawl and didn't recover. Another thing I noticed was the permissions for the file I transfered over had the owner set to "nobody". Once I changed that VB would boot past the splash screen and into the Welcome screen but then everything would slow down again. I'm going to try to create a fresh image and see if I get the same problems. Could be a unique bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

You want to pick the recovery console, not the repair, not sure if you did, but it sounds like your starting from scratch let me know how that goes

Beans

Figured out the machine lag issue. I had a memory stick go bad so the VM was attempting to access more memory than available. Everything runs fine now.

Lessons learned:
    Check permissions to correct the Unmountable volume error
    Insure that the VM is not attempting to use more than the available memory

Beans

Thanks for this - i had the same problem as you. I checked permissions and sure enough the virtual disk was read only. I did a chmod u+w <disk image name> and things started to work just great

Cheers,
    Dub