Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Good iPod touch alternatives?

Beans

Any Good iPod touch alternatives?

So, I have been looking for awhile at the iPod Touch. So far, its the only option I can see that has all I want. Here's some components that must be in the gadget: WiFi internet access, hard drive storage, video playback, touch screen interface (just because it looks cool, but if there's any players that don't have this, they're fine too.), and it must be small enough to carry in my pocket. Are there any other options I have??

Thanks,
    Wayne

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Any Good iPod touch alternatives?

Hmm...
    *COUGH*OpenMoko*COuGH*

EDIT:
    The OpenMoko is a handheld competitor for the iPhone and the iPod Touch. OpenMoko is Linux-based, and Open Source. They currently have a developer version for about 300 bucks, so check it out at:
    http://www.openmoko.com/
    Last edited by DeadSuperHero; November 5th, 2007 at 01:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You could probably get a PDA (Palm, Windows Mobile, or Linux-based) cheap. I have a Dell Axim x50v (running WM6) and I love it, but it can't sync with Ubuntu yet, so I have to use Windows/ActiveSync. Hopefully they'll either make an Ubuntu program that works with WM6 or port Familiar Linux (a PDA version of Linux mainly for HP iPaq's) to the Axim soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

yes, but no harddrive or wifi support in that device

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Psychopath
    The OpenMoko is a handheld competitor for the iPhone and the iPod Touch. OpenMoko is Linux-based, and Open Source. They currently have a developer version for about 300 bucks, so check it out at:
    Listen to him!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'll be third to mention OpenMoko. Only, it uses MicroSD, not any sort of HDD.
    I think the only other PMP with wireless and hard disk is an Archos, but they are somewhat big and expensive.
    Forget Google Linux; with no URL submission, they are missing a lot of pages!
    Instead, use nixCraft's Google Custom Search Engine: Linux Search Engine!

Beans

That's what I was about to ask. The OpenMoko doesn't have a hard drive, and SD cards can get expensive, especially if you will be using it for videos. I have looked at the Archos players, and they seem too bulky for everyday use. I guess the iPod is the only way to go for me. That is the only drawback to OpenMoko though. If it weren't for the fact that it didn't have at least 8 GB onboard, it would be a no contest.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Psychopath View Post
    Hmm...
    *COUGH*OpenMoko*COuGH*

EDIT:
    that is a pretty sweet looking device.

Beans

Consider the openmoko (FIC neo 1973).

Or have a look at the nokia N800 / N810 (it doesn't have a hard drive, but it is expandable via SDHC cards up to 8GB at the moment)
    http://www.nseries.com/products/n800/

I would warn against using an ipod touch, especially if you intend to connect it up to ubuntu. Apple has not supported linux with respect to their ipod line (sure the community has added support for many of the older generation ipods), and has consistently made it harder to do so - if you were to buy an ipod you are supporting apple with their DRM and various other problematic ipod syncing issues that you will experience with the latest generation of ipods and linux.

I recommend you should avoid an ipod touch at all costs.

Dare I say it, but many PDA's running windows CE have wifi, and some can be expanded with a micro hard drive that will fit into a compact flash slot.
    This way you just need a usb CF reader that ubuntu should have no problems reading.
    Last edited by Rhubarb; November 5th, 2007 at 03:04 AM.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Uh... guys... iPod Touch uses flash. No HDD.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast