Thread: Feb.9th, 2008 Hackathon

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Feb.9th, 2008 Hackathon

"Hello and welcome to Ubuntu-Illinois!"

This is the message I would like to send out to people. To accomplish this, myself and MikeStemle (manchicken) have decided to spearhead a Feb. 9th hackathon. As this project has ONLY just now launched in the past 5 hours or so, now is the PERFECT time to help us plan the event. Coding/being technical has nothing to do with emailing companies, voting on locations, suggesting good ideas for the event, etc.

And to lay down any rumors that you may hear on the Internet, there will be no Ferris Wheel or bullfighting demos. Well maybe there will be a demo. Who knows! It all depends on what the team wants. Lots of planning to be done on IRC/the mailing list so please join us. I realize that some of the people more into the Ubuntu project, and in the team don't spent lots of time on the forums, I would like to meet you halfway in between and work with everyone in the forums to plan this meeting.

Please don't be afraid to raise your voice (figuratively, since I can read lowercase too), and let your thoughts be known. Also, keep an eye out for a blurb about this event in the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter (UWN)

-Eddie Martinez aka posingaspopular

The page is here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IllinoisTeam/Events

The press release is below:

The Ubuntu-Illinois Team would like to announce the launch of it's
    campaign for a hackathon/codesprint on Saturday February 9th, 2008. Shooting for the Champaign-Urbana area, this event is designed to help promote the use of free software on all ends, and Ubuntu in specific. Our plans include an Install Fest, hackaton, and talks by the general community. At the moment, we are asking that any coding done by the users is something easily accessible; documentation work, bug triaging, packaging, and other such activities. As always, our team is concerned with the choice of the end user, and we are willing to work with anyone who wants to promote transparency and freedom in their code. Any and all help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Feb.9th, 2008 Hackathon

Hey, awesome! I'll DEFINATELY be looking into this.
    Shoot...it's in Champaign though...if only it were in Peoria...