Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Linux Fonts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Linux Fonts

Quote Originally Posted by endy
    Personally, I still prefer the fonts on Linux, although there doesn't seem much difference in the screenshots but that's my honest opinion.
    I'm not sure I care. They both seem fine to me. The only fonts I hate are the default ones for Mepis, but for Linux in general, I think the fonts are just fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Okay, here's the ClearType version.

And here's the Ubuntu version again.
    I think windows fonts look better. Look at the word RSS. In linux, there are parts of the S that are not even white. This is unacceptable.

I wonder why that is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

urlworlf, congratulations on waking up a thread that has been dead since September 3rd, 2005 (more than 2.5 years ago).

Have you tried with the current version of Ubuntu? Things might have changed in the last 2.5 years. If you don't like the default fonts, install something different, for example the Red Hat Liberation fonts.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Lol@thread necromancy. On topic: I remember when I first saw Ubuntu on an LCD screen. Previously, that laptop had Windows XP and LCD + MS Sans Serif is not a very pretty sight. Well, there's nothing pleasant about MS fonts IMO, too mechanical. But then my friend installed Ubuntu on his laptop and everything looks so nice on the screen, especially compared to XP. So that day I was determined to replace my ugly CRT with an LCD for the desktop so I could have an excellent looking Ubuntu.

In fact, whenever I install Windows XP, I tend to replace the default theme fonts with Bitstream Vera, to make it look less ugly and more like Gnome. But sadly, I can't figure out how to replace the widget fonts (buttons, etc.) with Bitstream Vera instead of MS Sans Serif. I hope there are step-by-step registry editing instructions for doing that, and that I someday find them. (Not that I've booted Windows in over a month.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've seen a big improvement in Ubuntu fonts in particular. Out of the other distros I've tried out, Ubuntu has very lushes font. A lot of people don't have their displays setup right in the beginning and don't have the Free type substitutes either. You're right clear type does bleed, every time I come home from work, I always notice how refreshing the fonts are in Ubuntu compared to XP. I hope we keep moving in this direction.
    E x a i l e : the best music player for Gnome.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234