Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: firewire connection to SA 8300HD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: firewire connection to SA 8300HD

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I just saw this. Do you mean to say that 3250's are not HD?

3250 = Digtial SD?
    4250 = Digital HD?

And you just want the 3250 for now?

If that's the case then I'm all fired up again about Comcast telling me that the 3250 is the only box they have with an active Firewire port. I'm gonna have to call them back and get on my FCC complaint.
    as far as i know (and the google seems to agree), the 3250 is an HD/SD box. i can't find a mention of an
    SD-only 3250.

http://www.nwi.net/PDF/Explore-3250HD.pdf

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    For anyone that's still interested, I never heard back from Comcast. I didn't really expect to, but I've been busy with other stuff lately anyway. So I haven't even gone to get a 3250 to test stuff out.

But I did randomly get a call back from the FCC (took about 4 weeks after my original message). I asked the guy how he interpreted the regulations, and he said that they should be able to activate the Firewire port on ANY box that they provide.

The relevant regulations are in CFR Title 47, Part 76, Section 640 (subsection b-4 on page 604) at http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...7cfr76.640.pdf:

So in section (i) they have to be able to upgrade my box or get me a new one, and in section (ii) any box they give me should already have it.

He also said that they are required to provide some sort of “pass-through” technology so that I can choose to watch either analog or digital with any box until 2012, but I couldn’t get a reference anywhere in the regulation and it sounded like he was speaking anecdotally. He might have been mixing up what I was saying with the ability to pass analog broadcast channels through a digital converter box or through an analog cable box.

Anyway, I’m going to call Comcast one more time now and get started on my FCC complaint.
    great info, joshua... thank you!

it's good that the FCC guy did manage to interpret the regs correctly. i hope you got his name and
    contact info in case you need it in the future?

i'm really surprised you are having such difficulty with comcast. they are generally one of the
    better cable providers when it comes to firewire and following the regs. by any chance did
    comcast recently take over your cable co? that would explain their stalling/misinformation.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by majoridiot View Post
    as far as i know (and the google seems to agree), the 3250 is an HD/SD box. i can't find a mention of an
    SD-only 3250.

http://www.nwi.net/PDF/Explore-3250HD.pdf
    he may have gotten an SA3250 not an SA3250HD.

see here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...eets_list.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    he may have gotten an SA3250 not an SA3250HD.

see here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...eets_list.html
    that was a link i had bookmarked @ home... a couldn't seem to find it today.

thanks for clarifying that, dannyboy. accurate info is everything. joshua definitely needs to find out
    which version his local comcast provides...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I still have the 4250 sitting in my office waiting for me to get off my butt and hook it up. I have looked around (albeit not very heavily) for the firewire channel changing stuff for mythtv. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction to get this thing going?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Also on a side note. I finally got in my second PVR-500 the other day. Newegg was out as was a few of my other primary picks. Ended up ordering off ebay and luckily got a new in box still shrink wrapped product. I need to find a time when I am home and the mythtv box isn't recording anything to install it. This is what will be taking the input from the SA4250 hopefully.

And majoridiot: I have yet to have plugged the mvp into the network to test the stuff we spoke about before. I hope to do that soon too. Too much to do and not enough time. lol

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kameleon25 View Post
    I finally got in my second PVR-500 the other day. This is what will be taking the input from the SA4250 hopefully.
    why are you referring to using firewire if your inputing from the 4250 to a PVR-500? Or do you only want to use firewire for channel changing? I couldn't get my 3250HD to work with my firewire channel changing so I ended up going the ir-blaster route and it works flawlessly!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yes, I planned on using the firewire to change the channels since I have that already on the myth box and I won't have to spend more on the IR option. Although I may have to opt to do that route anyways since I am not sure how much longer I will have Comcrap. I can get a better deal by switching to dish, I just don't agree with the 24 month contract. But that is neither here nor there.

The reason I don't want to mess with the video coming through the firewire is having to mess with the encryption. If I just output the composite to the pvr-500 then I won't have to mess with that.
    Last edited by kameleon25; August 8th, 2008 at 03:25 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456