Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: firewire connection to SA 8300HD

Hi,

I guess i was not clear.

I am trying to extract pre-recorded programs from the 8300HD
    when i do that
    - the windows system sees the stream
    - but the xubuntu does not see the stream

To me that proves that there is a problem with the firwire on the xubuntu system

Thanks
    michel

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Also

I have the same result from a ubuntu 7.X system running
    on a SPARC ULTRA 10 with a PCI firwire card

the SPARC does not see the stram either

Bye
    michel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just got an SA 8300HD. I found out that if you hold the "Select" button down for a couple seconds (until the mail icon starts flashing) and then hit the "Info" button you can get into a system status area.

1 - Are there any screens in that system status area that I can use to reliably confirm that my firewire (1394) ports are active?

2 - If I turn my computer off, plug in the firewire cable to the STB, and turn the computer back on, and plugreport always gives something like:
    Code:
    Host Adapter 0
    ==============

Node 0 GUID 0xf4bff0b7b7f0bff4
    ------------------------------
    libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
    libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
    on both ports, does that mean that my firewire ports are not active? And is that process reliable enough to go ahead an call my cable company to complain, and file complaints with the FCC and attorney general, etc.?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I just got an SA 8300HD. I found out that if you hold the "Select" button down for a couple seconds (until the mail icon starts flashing) and then hit the "Info" button you can get into a system status area.

1 - Are there any screens in that system status area that I can use to reliably confirm that my firewire (1394) ports are active?
    each stb is different, so maybe another 8300 owner will chime in on specifics... but you are
    looking for anything referring to "1394 port status" or something similar.

2 - If I turn my computer off, plug in the firewire cable to the STB, and turn the computer back on, and plugreport always gives something like:
    Code:
    Host Adapter 0
    ==============

Node 0 GUID 0xf4bff0b7b7f0bff4
    ------------------------------
    libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
    libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
    on both ports, does that mean that my firewire ports are not active? And is that process reliable enough to go ahead an call my cable company to complain, and file complaints with the FCC and attorney general, etc.?
    this is a pretty good indication that the firewire ports are not active. if they were, you
    should see a node with a good GUID and plug status and an empty node, as you are
    seeing now.

although i do heartily encourage filing all of the necessary complaints, i think you
    also need to be aware that by all reports, the 8300 series stb outputs mangled transport
    streams over firewire for every channel except the one used to view pre-recorded dvr
    content. in other words, it is pretty much useless for use with mythtv firewire connections.
    i worked at length with another mythbuntu 8300 owner to try and determine what was
    going on, and none of a dozen professional video tools could make sense of the stream.
    other than the synch byte and a few other parts of the mpeg header, it appeared to be
    garbage.

note that the stream was not encrypted- it was clear, just invalid.

this complaint is not limited to mythv- it is also well documented in windoze-land and across
    multiple cable providers. it appears that this crippling of firewire output for regular channels is
    either intentional, or a convenient "bug" in the stb firmware that nobody is in a hurry to fix.

thought you should know before this becomes too large of a frustration for you...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by majoridiot View Post
    each stb is different, so maybe another 8300 owner will chime in on specifics... but you are looking for anything referring to "1394 port status" or something similar.
    I did see some screens that had some info but I couldn't tell what some of the info meant. Maybe I'll take some pictures tonight and post them here. It looked like the important fields all said unavailable or disabled, but others had some numbers in them.

this is a pretty good indication that the firewire ports are not active. if they were, you should see a node with a good GUID and plug status and an empty node, as you are seeing now.
    Oh well. Does anyone know if the 8500HD is any better? I'm in Alexandria, Virginia and I have Comcast. I actually started with an 8000HD, then upgraded to the 8500HD, and then was told that the 8500HD was too new. So they gave me the 8300HD, (saying, "Oh, this is deffinately the one you need!" - yeah right) but noone on the phone ever actually knows what I'm talking about when I mention the firewire port. ("Is the box plugged in?" "I resent your authorization, does it work now?" "What's on fire?" - That's all I get. I hate Comcast).

although i do heartily encourage filing all of the necessary complaints,
    Nothing will change if we don't complain about it. This seems like one of the few times the FCC is working FOR consumers. We should jump on it.

i think you also need to be aware that by all reports, the 8300 series stb outputs mangled transport streams over firewire for every channel except the one used to view pre-recorded dvr content. in other words, it is pretty much useless for use with mythtv firewire connections.
    This would actually not be too bad for me. It's not ideal, but there are certain things that I just want to get off the box without buying any new computer stuff.

i worked at length with another mythbuntu 8300 owner to try and determine what was going on, and none of a dozen professional video tools could make sense of the stream. other than the synch byte and a few other parts of the mpeg header, it appeared to be garbage.

note that the stream was not encrypted- it was clear, just invalid.

this complaint is not limited to mythv- it is also well documented in windoze-land and across multiple cable providers. it appears that this crippling of firewire output for regular channels is either intentional, or a convenient "bug" in the stb firmware that nobody is in a hurry to fix.

thought you should know before this becomes too large of a frustration for you...
    I appreciate the "heads up!" It IS getting very frustrating. Comcast is completely useless (except that they haven't given me a hard time for trading in three boxes so far this week - they give me almost any equipment that I ask for). The technical support can't even tell me if the firewire is active or not. Again, do you know if the 8500HD is any better?

Also, I guess this is a little off topic, but I've got the pcHDTV3000 (two of them). It should be able to get the unencrypted channels right from the cable, but when I hook everything up, they come in choppy. Has anyone else had this problem? I'll still have the firewire fight with Comcast, but I thought it would be nice to watch something on the computer in the meantime.
    Last edited by Joshua; June 24th, 2008 at 04:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oh well. Does anyone know if the 8500HD is any better? I'm in Alexandria, Virginia and I have Comcast. I actually started with an 8000HD, then upgraded to the 8500HD, and then was told that the 8500HD was too new. So they gave me the 8300HD, (saying, "Oh, this is deffinately the one you need!" - yeah right) but noone on the phone ever actually knows what I'm talking about when I mention the firewire port. ("Is the box plugged in?" "I resent your authorization, does it work now?" "What's on fire?" - That's all I get. I hate Comcast).
    i couldn't find any info readily available specifically for an "8500", but the 8500 series all
    have firewire ports and might be worth a shot. here is a link to that series:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...eets_list.html

you will get nowhere calling customer support. you will need to get a tech there on-site and
    address the issue with them. from there, they can check with the CO, etc. and find out what the deal is.
    the signals needed to enable the ports come from the head end at the CO and i can guarantee you will not
    find a fix-the-problem-by-working-a-checklist customer service rep that will either understand, or be
    able to fix it if you do.

having been where you are now (with a motorola box), i can tell you that you will need to educate the
    service tech a little... specifically that comcast is required by law to have active ports
    on stbs that are firewire capable. if you are trading these in, in-person, ask to speak to a technician
    or an engineer at the office. you may need to schedule a service call to have one come to the house, but
    that is the best way to address this.

if you ever want to use the firewire function with mythtv for pvr-type recording, stay away from the 8300 for
    sure.

comcast has (surprisingly) improved firewire support across the board and is one of the better cable
    providers when it comes to firewire support on their stbs.

be grateful you are not a TWC customer...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

comcast has (surprisingly) improved firewire support across the board and is one of the better cable
    providers when it comes to firewire support on their stbs.

be grateful you are not a TWC customer...
    I KNOW! I've read lots of posts from Comcast customers in other parts of the country, and they seem to get a reasonable amount of cooperation. I didn't think this was going to be such a pain. I think I'll take your advice and bring the 8300 back tonight, again , and ask for the 8500 and a real technitian. Oh, and I'll take a couple pictures of the system status screens on both of the STBs. Maybe someone will find them useful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I KNOW! I've read lots of posts from Comcast customers in other parts of the country, and they seem to get a reasonable amount of cooperation. I didn't think this was going to be such a pain. I think I'll take your advice and bring the 8300 back tonight, again , and ask for the 8500 and a real technitian. Oh, and I'll take a couple pictures of the system status screens on both of the STBs. Maybe someone will find them useful.
    pictures of the status screens would be very helpful.

i'm a new comcast customer... they bought out my local provider and took over this year. after the
    takeover, the vast majority of channels that were previously encrypted (about 95% of the "digital
    tier" channels) had the encryption removed and are now clear for recording. approximately 95% of my
    total channels are now either entirely unencrypted or are conditionally encrypted, depending on
    the program. only a handful of channels (like my local NBC-HD and TNTHD) are always encrypted. you can imagine my amazement that mega-provider comcast cleared the channels the local refused to.

good luck at the office!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, I didn't have much luck with the Comcast office tonight. I've still got the 8300, and there wasn't anyone in the office with the knowledge or authority to help me, but a technician is supposed to try to figure it out and call me tomorrow. Normally I wouldn't have really thought much of a promise like that, but he gave me his phone number. So I can call him if he doesn't call me.

Also, I know this is an Ubuntu forum, but I tried to get the Firewire to work in the Windows partition. Previously, I was able to get the computer to recognize that it was connected to something, and even change the channels, but now it won't even recognize it. I can't find any uninstall/reinstall buttons and drivers keep failing. Is there any good, recent information out there on how to get the Firewire link to work in Windows without already having a tuner card, and without spending any money?

I posted some pictures of my 8300 menus(http://ubuntuforums.org/album.php?albumid=295), too. I think those are the only two relevant ones. If anyone wants to see all of the screens, just let me know, and I'll upload them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, I didn't have much luck with the Comcast office tonight. I've still got the 8300, and there wasn't anyone in the office with the knowledge or authority to help me, but a technician is supposed to try to figure it out and call me tomorrow. Normally I wouldn't have really thought much of a promise like that, but he gave me his phone number. So I can call him if he doesn't call me.
    the techs are usually the best guys to deal with, when you can. they usually know what is going
    on, or are willing to find out if they don't.

Also, I know this is an Ubuntu forum, but I tried to get the Firewire to work in the Windows partition. Previously, I was able to get the computer to recognize that it was connected to something, and even change the channels, but now it won't even recognize it. I can't find any uninstall/reinstall buttons and drivers keep failing. Is there any good, recent information out there on how to get the Firewire link to work in Windows without already having a tuner card, and without spending any money?
    although the thread is old, this one has been the gold-standard in the windoze firewire world for
    drivers and info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=403695

except...

I posted some pictures of my 8300 menus(http://ubuntuforums.org/album.php?albumid=295), too. I think those are the only two relevant ones. If anyone wants to see all of the screens, just let me know, and I'll upload them.
    the first picture shows firewire outputs are disabled. there is also no policy info for it,
    which leads me to believe the ports are totally inactive. the tech should be able to work
    with the chief engineer at the head to enable it.

good luck...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast