Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: firewire connection to SA 8300HD

Beans

Re: firewire connection to SA 8300HD

i am trying to capture hd from my tw 8300 box to my mac my mac can see the 8300 but there is nothing streaming out,they have the cci set to once,so now tw in central ny is saying because the mac is not dtcp compliant that they have a right to block all the hd channels even over the air networks,can they do this

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pastafazoule View Post
    i am trying to capture hd from my tw 8300 box to my mac my mac can see the 8300 but there is nothing streaming out,they have the cci set to once,so now tw in central ny is saying because the mac is not dtcp compliant that they have a right to block all the hd channels even over the air networks,can they do this
    no, they are not supposed to- but yes, because the FCC lets them get away with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi
    2 weeks ago i was able to record from XBUNNTU 7 on the firewire port.
    Broadcast did not work but P2P was ok and the video capture SD HD was good. For whatever reasons it stopped (last week) the P2P connection is always failing now.

But if i connect the firewire cable to my XP machine, it is capturing
    (with a lot of pixelisation) for the HD program) but it is capturing...

So i have reinstall XUBUNTU reinstall the proper libraries, but firewire_tester always says that the P2P failed. And test-mpeg2 produce files wth 0 bytes.

I am at lost here , why am i capturing in XP and not in Linux????

help Please
    Thanks
    Michel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by mickeybeau View Post
    Hi
    2 weeks ago i was able to record from XBUNNTU 7 on the firewire port.
    Broadcast did not work but P2P was ok and the video capture SD HD was good. For whatever reasons it stopped (last week) the P2P connection is always failing now.

But if i connect the firewire cable to my XP machine, it is capturing
    (with a lot of pixelisation) for the HD program) but it is capturing...

So i have reinstall XUBUNTU reinstall the proper libraries, but firewire_tester always says that the P2P failed. And test-mpeg2 produce files wth 0 bytes.

I am at lost here , why am i capturing in XP and not in Linux????

help Please
    Thanks
    Michel
    Do you have the permissions properly set on your firewire port?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

also, do you have the channel set on a "free" channel, like NBC or ABC. Anything that is not encrypted or that doesn't have a copy flag set on it.
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

did you follow the guide at all, which covers all of the "did you's?" that keep being repeated over and over?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Firewire

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi,

thanks for the fast answers guys.

First, i have the proper permissions,the device
    CRW_R__R__ /dev/raw1394 has a group owner of DISK
    so i have added my user to that group. Plugreport will fail otherwise

Also to make sure , i su to root to run the plugreport and the firewire tester.

I am trying to capture recorded programs on my 8300HD so it shall work
    it was working before.

If i switch on the windows XP side , i can capture the recorded programs not the live ones.

when i start a recorded program on my8300hd, i am starting the firewire_tester and the P2P test always fails (0 packets received)

Bye
    michel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mickeybeau View Post
    I am trying to capture recorded programs on my 8300HD so it shall work
    it was working before.

If i switch on the windows XP side , i can capture the recorded programs not the live ones.

when i start a recorded program on my8300hd, i am starting the firewire_tester and the P2P test always fails (0 packets received)

Bye
    michel
    unfortunately, what you are describing sounds a lot like either the firewire port on the stb
    has been disabled or partially crippled by your cable company, or they enabled encryption on the
    channels. that's what happened in my case- one day it worked, the next they had changed CCI to
    0x02 on most channels.

my only other thought is if there is more than one firewire connector on the stb, try swtiching
    the cable to that one. if you do this with the computer and stb turned on, you will most
    likely need to reset the firewire bus (-R switch with firewire_tester) or reboot the computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

woooooo, now you're saying that you're trying to capture a file that was already recorded by your 8300HD DVR? we don't even know if the STB outputs a recorded show out the firewire port. at least I don't anyway. the way I have gotten flicks off my dads sa8300hd is by hooking up an EyeTV and I just used the component out on the STB into the EyeTV and from the EyeTV was a firewire cable. Does your P2P connection work if you tune the STB to a known "local" channel and run firewire_tester? Are you saying that Windows XP can capture a video that's being played from the STB DVR thru firewire? If that's the case than I guesss we know that the stream from teh DVR is being fed out the firewire port but I also wonder if it matters the channel of the recording. If the channels has a copy flag set to 1 and your DVR already captured it, that's it, you can't copy it again. BUt if you tried a different channel that had a different copy flag set when you were using Windows than that would explain that. ANyway, I can't help anymore. Good luck
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    woooooo, now you're saying that you're trying to capture a file that was already recorded by your 8300HD DVR? we don't even know if the STB outputs a recorded show out the firewire port
    if the program had a CCI of 0x00 (copy freely), then it will output just fine over firewire for
    archiving purposes... and to help keep the dvr's tiny hard drive clean.

if the program had a CCI of 0x02, or copy once, then you will not be able to play it back and
    record it via firewire- as the dvr would have set the CCI of the program to 0x01 or
    copy never, per the DTCP specification.

this is what leads me to suspect his CCI has been locked down- if he can not record any channels
    but can record previously recorded- and most likely CCI 0x00- programs, then that means there
    is nothing wrong with the firewire, but the stream itself.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast