Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VMware Server not detecting attached USB devices; LPT port can't be added either...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: VMware Server not detecting attached USB devices; LPT port can't be added either.

I managed to get things to print from Windows to Ubuntu using the above method of adding a Unix printing system to Windows then specifying an address. But I have problems printing PDF's. They take forever to print. We seemed to be able to solve this problem by opening Printer configuration menu and click the tab Installed Options and put the total memory up to mirror the capacity of your printer. After doing this, my pdf docs print within two seconds. Before it would bottleneck and not print. Now it seems to be doing it again....

Beans

Re: VMware Server not detecting attached USB devices

Yesterday I upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10 and then no USB devices appeared in my VMWare server sessions.

I fonud this thread and no answers so looked a bit deeper.

I noticed that there are no entries in /proc/bus/usb at all either so that may point at the reason.

I did a search and found that I need to:
    mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb

That gave me /proc/bus/usb entries.

Restarting VMWare server gave me back my USB devices.

I am about to add an entry to fstab to have the mount happen automatically. Not sure why this changed in the upgrade.

Cheers

Beans

Re: VMware Server not detecting attached USB devices; LPT port can't be added either.

Thanks for the information, it worked great with Kubuntu 7.10!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12