Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HowTo: Transfer your bootable Ubuntu installation between hard drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: HowTo: Transfer your bootable Ubuntu installation between hard drives

Thanks for your good Howto.I followed your procedure but, although I made a copy, I have not been able to get it to boot on its own.
    I have a plug IDE drive the same size as my normal HDD and I am trying to make a bootable copy so I can be ready should my new Natty instal fails.
    All goes well until I get to step 5)sudo grub. The response is "command not found" The copy HDD will boot as long as the normal HDD is there, but won't boot if I disconnect the main HDD. I get: error: out of disk. grub rescue.

My Boot Info Script (can't recall how to attach it) does show something not right with my Boot Sector info - "core.img cannot be found at this location"

My system: Desktop AMD Dual 5200 CPU, 2G RAM, Geforce N439GT graphics.
    HDD: SATA 160G and IDE 160G removable.
    Distro: Maverick

Any Hints?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Might be worth mentioning, dd uses an incredibly small bit size by default, which makes the speed very very slow when copying.

To fix this, specify a larger bit size. I use roughly 4 MB and that sped up the transfer by about 15 times!

Code:
    sudo dd if=FROM of=TO bs=4194304
    Also, if you want to see the progress of dd once it has already started running, run the following command in a seperate terminal window:

Code:
    watch -n 10 killall -USR1 dd
    Source: http://enhancedlinux.com/2010/07/11/check-the-status-of-dd-command/

You'll now see when you switch back to the window / virtual terminal that dd is running in that it has started to output how much data it has transfered. Really useful.
    i5-650 Dual-Core 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 1TB, eVGA GTX 460 *Running Ubuntu, Arch, Win7, Snow Leopard
    Aluminum Unibody, 5,1 Macbook *Running Snow Leopard, Ubuntu, Jolicloud

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
    ... All goes well until I get to step 5)sudo grub. The response is "command not found" ...
    Any Hints?
    This guide is a bit old. Ubuntu no longer uses the old version of grub but now rather uses GRUB2. A very good guide on how to install grub2 from a liveCD is availible here: http://www.webtechquery.com/index.ph...-from-live-cd/

Hope it helps!
    i5-650 Dual-Core 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 1TB, eVGA GTX 460 *Running Ubuntu, Arch, Win7, Snow Leopard
    Aluminum Unibody, 5,1 Macbook *Running Snow Leopard, Ubuntu, Jolicloud

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234