Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HowTo: Transfer your bootable Ubuntu installation between hard drives

Quote Originally Posted by a_rojilla View Post
    should I clone them again and again
    Why?

or is there a way to update only modified files?
    With methods such as "tar" and "rsync": yes. With "dd": Nope!

I mean some way to heve them sync and avoid to clone the whole disk when I all I want is to save the changes...
    Use the "tar" method or use "rsync" then.

Read here ... maybe it's useful for your purposes - I once wrote this for the Linux Mint forums and this is how I have been doing backups for years now (in the office I use tape streamers etc. but basically it's still the same method as described here):

"How to backup your stuff UNIX-style"
    http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewt...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flostre View Post
    Is it possible to use, say, if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb (instead of "if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1" to "if=/dev/hdaN of=/dev/hdbN")?
    It works (I just did it). You still have to enlarge your partition after dd is finished though.

flostre

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am trying to transfer my Ubuntu Hardy Heron OS from my internal HD to my external HD. I want the OS i tranfer to my External HD to be bootable from my external HD so i can plug it into any PC i wish and boot from USB Device and run my OS.
    ECS Black Series GF8200A NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI
    AMD Phenomx4 9650 2.3ghz Quad-Core
    4048MB DDR2 1066Mhz Ram
    Nvidia Geforce 9500GT 1gig dedicated Ram

Beans

I would use Clonezilla Live :: http://clonezilla.org

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I was hoping to transfer my install to a usb key so i can have a bootable usb back-up of my computer, Is it possible to use this guide to dd from an 8 gig hard drive to an 8 gig usb stick? or if anyone has any other suggestions they would be appreciated greatly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by alphanaut View Post
    I would use Clonezilla Live :: http://clonezilla.org
    +1. i already use it in conjuction with the rsync
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

hile it's pretty cool that you can do these things from the command line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I have 1 question, in this tutorial you said that you can transfer your bootable Ubuntu Installation between hard drives.

What if I want to transfer my old Ubuntu hard disk to my shiny new computer with a new hard disk? What about the dev, proc, sys, new motherboard, new processor, wouldn't the old Ubuntu OS overwrite the settings and files of the new Computer?

As far as I know, this is practically backing up your old harddisk and transferring it to a new one, together with the settings and files of the old.

So will this work for me?

Out of topic also, if I plainly attach an old hard disk to a NEW COMPUTER without hard disk, will that old hard disk boot and AUTO ADJUST to the new Computer? Or do I really need to follow your tutorial?
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linfidel View Post
    I've had some experience moving partitions around, and thought I'd add a few points.

First, using dd is fine, no problems with that, although I thought there was an issue with how many bytes/blocks to copy at a time (bs = size). That mainly affects speed, though, IIRC. Anyway, I believe you can run gparted from ubuntu itself, and copy/paste a partition, if you have both drives available.

But, the main thing I wanted to add is that if you are adding a drive rather than replacing it, you need to learn about UUIDs a little if you try to keep both drives at the same time. You will need to change the UUID or delete the old partition. If you need to assign a new UUID, use tune2fs with the -U option to assign a random UUID. When I added a 2nd drive, and rearranged partitions, I learned all about this the hard way.
    So if I wanted to copy the partition to a new hard drive then delete it from the old hard drive I wouldn't need to edit any UUID's? Can anybody give me any information on this? Also on how to check that the new partition is working and booting fine with a GRUB that works before deleting the old partition? Thank you very much in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Had some fun with the 'dd'. Wanted to copy sdb8 (40gb) to sdb1. Using gparted I resized sdb1 and formatted. Then ran the following:

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb8 of=/dev/sdb1

Well, 90 minutes later with the disk light still flashing, I cancelled. Any ideas?
    Just think how boring life would be without Ubuntu

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast