Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I just bought a brand new gOS(e17) "Green" computer from Walmart Online!

Beans

Red face I just bought a brand new gOS(e17) "Green" computer from Walmart Online!

I was responding to post in another thread but I thought I would start a new post for the first purchase from a ubuntuforums.org member of a gOS "Green" computer:

Sspecifically the:
    Everex TC2502 Green gPC w/ Via C7-D Processor

Item Description

This exceptional value is built around a Via Technologies processor designed for low power consumption. It runs on the gOS operating system and features the OpenOffice.org 2.2 software suite that gives users the ability to create word processing documents, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. Additional highlights include a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, Ethernet port and stereo speakers.

Key Features & Benefits:

1.5 GHz Via Technologies C7-D processor

Delivers energy-saving performance

512 MB of DDR2 system memory

Offers good performance and is expandable to 2 GB

80 GB hard disk drive

Provides space for documents, games, photos and music

DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive

Lets you play DVDs and burn your own CDs for entertainment and data backup

10/100 Mbps Ethernet

Connects to a local area network or broadband Internet devices

gOS operating system

Enables you to use the supplied OpenOffice.org 2.2 software suite

Specifications

Hard Drive Size:
    80 GB
    System RAM:
    512 MB
    Operating System:
    gOS
    Model No.:
    TC2502
    Shipping Weight (in pounds):
    Product in Inches (L x W x H):
    23.0 x 23.0 x 11.4
    Assembled in Country of Origin:
    USA and/or Imported
    Origin of Components:
    USA and/or Imported
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ssories+to+Buy

Quote Originally Posted by TeraDyne View Post
    It comes with an Ubuntu build with E17 as default, and RAV TUX isn't here wetting himself over the news yet. XD

It looks very nice. I'd get one just to use as a spare machine. Well, if I had the money, that is. Anyone know if "gOS" is downloadable anywhere? I'm wanting to try it out in VMWare.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Rav Tux will love it! It runs E-17
    Actually I am buying one online for my parents right now!!

I have an old computer with PC-BSD on it that I was going to send them but this is priced less then it would cost me to ship it to them from DC to Portland, Oregon.

The fact that they have included a Ubuntu version of e17 on the OS is pure genius and a true sign that e17 is the future of Linux.

Canonical really needs to adopt e17 as an official distro release and help in the e17 development.

My parents will love it!

They should receive it next week...I will keep everyone posted.
    Last edited by RAV TUX; November 1st, 2007 at 04:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I just bought a brand new gOS(e17) "Green" computer from Walmart Online!

You will have to tell how well it performs. For that price though i think you got a great bargain.
    Sick of cd'ing to a folder? sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal Log out then back in. Right click in the folder, select Open in terminal
    Need to compile something? sudo apt-get install build-essential

Beans

Red face Re: I just bought a brand new gOS(e17) "Green" computer from Walmart Online!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul820 View Post
    You will have to tell how well it performs. For that price though i think you got a great bargain.
    It will be my parents very first computer, and it beats the old computer I was going to send them.

I am very, very excited!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

e17 the future of linux? oh.

Beans

The first thing I would do when buying such a computer is installing vanilla Ubuntu 7.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

what took you so long ... it's been available almost all day
    Last edited by jimrz; November 10th, 2007 at 08:40 PM.
    'Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.' - Benjamin Franklin

Registered Linux User#407002 / Registered Ubuntu User#1806

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by n3tfury View Post
    e17 the future of linux? oh.
    There's been odd choices for really cheap systems with linux in the past. A Mexican store chain used to sell really slow systems with Lindows ( back before they went to call themselves Lindspire ).

Beans

Everex launches $198 Ubuntu Linux gPC at Wal-Mart

update us, how did it go?

and i'm wondering if the e guys knows about this
    Last edited by loell; November 1st, 2007 at 03:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

update us, how did it go?
    Wow -25 minutes between the first post about ordering and a request for a review. You must have some spectacular delivery services in the States! This would take at least 24hrs in Australia. We are so behind you guys.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tux Aubrey View Post
    Wow -25 minutes between the first post about ordering and a request for a review. You must have some spectacular delivery services in the States! This would take at least 24hrs in Australia. We are so behind you guys.
    I don't know about you guys, or the dilevery speed in the States, I thought, it was just 10 minutes in our place j/k

oh I forgot, i'm talking about the delivery time , of the take out from the fast food two blocks from my place

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast