Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: usb not working in Innotek VB on ubuntu710

Beans

Re: usb not working in Innotek VB on ubuntu710

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1961 View Post
    I don't think the ose version supports usb. I installed the version from the virtualbox site by adding their repo to my /etc/apt/sources.list. As a kernel module needs to be compiled you should have build-essential installed
    Thanks for that steve, as I thought. Will I also need the kernel source and headers ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You don't need the kernel source, only the headers. Not sure, but these might even be installed automatically along with build-essential, but if not just install them from synaptic. Or just issue the command:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    Last edited by Steve1961; November 4th, 2007 at 01:34 PM.

Beans

You don't need the kernel source, only the headers. Not sure, but these might even be installed automatically along with build-essential, but if not just install them from synaptic. Or just issue the command:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    Thanks once again.

I will give it a go this pm.

Beans

Tried all above and failed with error message
    VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED)

Ran sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup twice as suggested on other posts and still nothing

dmesg gave error about adding nmi_watchdog=0 to the kernel command

Is this normal and safe to do ?

dmesg output is just over 19.5 limit as one file so have split into 2 attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Brilliant! Thank you very much.

Beans

Thanks Steve! I used your solution and now I get to use my USB camera under windows. I also have a USB wireless keyboard and mouse. When I add those to the virtual machine, I get proper input for windows (e.g.: keys stay pressed instead of being repeatedly pressed). The problem is that I'm loosing keyboard support for Ubuntu.

So, under the present configuration I can have a proper keyboard in windows at the cost of loosing it for Ubuntu (while XP is running) or I can have seamless Ubuntu+XP but without proper keyboard support.

Any ideas?

Beans

I have followed directions here after installing the latest from the virtualbox site for my AMD computer.

Now my problem is that the CD is not mounted and does not show upin the drop down.

I tried mounting with,
    sudo ln -fs /media/cdrom0 /dev/cdrom

...this allows me to browse the CD ROM

If mount from within the Virtual Box GUI I can't install the OS and I get a fata error when starting the VM. How can I get the mounted CD ROM to show up in the "Settings"?

pr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

or just add this line to /etc/fstab

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1002,devmode=664 0 0

the devgid number is the vboxusers group id (check to see if yours is different)

Once you've saved and closed fstab just do a sudo mount -a and you should be good to go.
    Thanks. This worked for me. After VirtualBox was updated, I kept getting error messages about not able to connect to USB Device 'Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device. (Error: VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).' My vboxusers group id was different than yours, but looked in System/Administration/Users and Groups/Manage Groups - Properties and changed the 1002 (group id),
    Last edited by bobpress; December 28th, 2007 at 03:58 AM.
    Maverick Meerkat Desktop Ubuntu 10.10, HP Pavilion dv6-1240 with 4G memory. Windows 7 dual boot.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12