Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use Tomboy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you use Tomboy?

Does anyone use Tomboy? I have tried multiple times to use it but it just seems so unnecessary. Every task I would do in Tomboy, I could accomplish in Gedit in less time.
    If you use Tomboy, could you please describe how you use it and possibly the advantages of using it over apps like Gedit? Thank you for your time.
    Focus on how it can be rather than how it could've been.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Do you use Tomboy?

I use it quite often, since I don't like to have multiple files with notes lying around. Furthermore, one file with all the notes would become quite confusing after a while.

Most often, I save lists with new movies I would like to see, new music-cd releases or todos.
    The main advantage of tomboy is, in my opinion, the fast and easy accessibilty combined with easy organisation of the notes.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I love tomboy. I use it for note-taking in classes. The wiki stuff and the outline-style bullets are great, because i can put the outline the teacher uses on the board as one thing then link each item to a note. That results in having a sort of Table of Contents for each lecture. Key terms can get their own notes, and then when they are referred to by another note (for ex, i have "state" as one note since the state is different from the regime or government, and when i reference the state) it links to that note so you can look up the vocab word as you study.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

No, i dont find any use for it. If it was like an OSX widget I would understand using more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I use quite a lot actually and it has proved quite useful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I usually don't use it, but recently, after installing Ubuntu 7.10, I used it to keep track of customizations, installations, tools, set-ups and apps I wanted to add. So far it has been quite helpful.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans

You can do things faster with Gedit? In Gedit don't you have to worry about saving the file and typing the name for each file you want to save. Also, with Gedit you will have to open the file etc... Tomboy does all of that for you. It organises basically everything for you. You can't search your "notes" in Gedit can you?
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sensenseppl View Post
    I use it quite often, since I don't like to have multiple files with notes lying around. Furthermore, one file with all the notes would become quite confusing after a while.

Most often, I save lists with new movies I would like to see, new music-cd releases or todos.
    The main advantage of tomboy is, in my opinion, the fast and easy accessibilty combined with easy organisation of the notes.
    I agree whole heartedly. Tomboy is great. I wish they find a way to sync it online so I can have the same notes on different computers.

Maybe with an option on each note for "public access" so I can browse my notes with a cell phone. Make a simple layout with note names on the front page for each username (i.e wap.tomboy.com/username) and a click to open them.
    Last edited by graabein; October 31st, 2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Brain storming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I love it. I cross-wiki lots of little notes, just like you would with post-it notes. The advantage is that I can see immediately what I've crossliinked and how it fits together, and they're in one space. Also, they don't fall off the wall.
    Sudo aptitude install brain common-sense reason FUDfilter patience persistence sheer-luck sense-of-adventure

Don't sudo rm -rf! Read the manual page: $ man command. Good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yeah, I use it often.

It's great for keeping little snippets of notes etc. Anything more advanced and I create howtos using gedit, but for something quick Tomboy can't be beat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast