Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HOWTO: Configure CPU scaling to decrease heat and increase battery life

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Configure CPU scaling to decrease heat and increase battery life

Quote Originally Posted by thebert View Post
    Now when you change settings using panel applet they will not 'stick'. They will change back to the default ondemand value when you reboot, switch to battery power, or switch to AC power.

To change these default values you need to open up the gconf-editor. To do that press Alt+F2 and type
    gconf-editor into the run dialog. Now navigate to apps>gnome-power-manger>cpufreq. Here you can change the value of policy_ac and policy_battery to whichever governor you wish to be default for AC power and battery.
    This option in the gconf-editor is not there anymore in Intrepid Ibex....has anyone figured out how to make the settings stick in 8.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

CPU Frequency Scaling on Celeron M and Pentium 4 processors

thanks to krazykit,
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190921

Quote Originally Posted by krazykit
    First off, you need to insert the p4_clockmod module. Open a terminal and do
    Code:
    sudo modprobe p4_clockmod
    This shouldn't give any feedback.

To make this module load every boot, add it to /etc/modules with your favorite editor ...it should look something like this

Code:
    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

p4_clockmod
    Then enable the Frequency Scaling Monitor applet as described in the first post of this thread. (For me, in Hardy, the question was: 'Should cpufreq-selector run with root privileges?')
    Last edited by orawax; November 5th, 2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: made the post clearer, i hope

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgleo87 View Post
    This option in the gconf-editor is not there anymore in Intrepid Ibex....has anyone figured out how to make the settings stick in 8.10?
    no solution, but an explanation why:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...78#post6109958
    Last edited by Andreas1; November 5th, 2008 at 03:32 PM.

Beans

After some tinkering, and some help from the guide at http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?ti...ent#powerthend , I figured out how to set default CPU governors for ac and battery on Intrepid and Jaunty.

All you need to do is put a short script called something like 50-cpufreq.sh in both /etc/acpi/battery.d/ and /etc/acpi/ac.d/ .

The script should include the following:

#! /bin/sh
    echo "governor" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo "governor" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Just change the word governor to performance, powersave, ondemand or conservative, depending on which one you want for battery and ac. (Mine is set to performance on ac, and to ondemand on battery.)

Set both scripts' permissions to 744 (sudo chmod 744 50-cpufreq.sh) and you're done. Try unplugging and re-plugging your power adapter, and you'll see it works right away.

I also installed powerthend for more responsive frequency scaling... all you have to do is download it, move it to your root directory, un-tar it, and then remove powernowd.
    -------
    Number of Windows users I've converted to happy Ubuntu-philes, through patience and honesty, so far: 5

Beans

Hi there, I've broken my cpu scaling.

For some reason I had the applets going okay then I must have fiddled with something and now I get a message to say that Frequency Scaling is Unsupported. They are both running at 100%.

I have installed cpufreqd thinking this might help. I tried uninstalling this and made no difference.

Any clues on how to get it back as my laptop fans are running flat out.

Regards
    John

Edit note:
    SOLVED. I booted from a live CD. Noted that the gnome cpu applet worked okay, so I checked synaptic to see what cpu packages were installed. I noticed that "freqd" was not installed but instead "powernowd". I went back to my installed version and uninstalled "freqd" and reinstalled "powernowd" and in so doing fixed the problem. Next time I'll concentrate....
    Last edited by heffo_j; March 20th, 2009 at 01:17 PM.

Beans

great guide, but i have some questions: does lowering frequency use less power? using less power would result in less heat coming from laptop too, right? but wouldn't your laptop run slower because it's at a lower frequency?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i'm using ubuntu in my old trustworthy Compaq Presario v3201tu since Gutsy. And the overheating problem was first appeared in Hardy and solves in Intrepid. Since then, i did not have that overheating problem.

Now the problem appears again in Lucid! But this howto is still valid... until this is fixed again.. I'll be using this workaround! Thanks..
    ||MindaICT - List of things I did with Ubuntu||
    Proud Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) tester On HP Compaq Presario v3201TU
    Intel Core Duo 1.73GHz ~ 2 Gig DDR2 ~ Intel Mobile 945GM E.I.G.C ~ Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG ~ Intel HD Sound

Beans

I have ubuntu 9.10 on an hp tx2525nr.

It has an AMD 64-bit x2 processor (RM-70, 2.00GHz), and when I have it set for performance, when running on AC, it runs 2GHz, but on battery it drops to 1GHz. If I tell it manually to run at 1GHz, it runs at 1GHz, but if I set it to manual 2GHz, it runs at 1GHz.

If I want to save battery I would've bought an intel.

How do I alter the cpu scaling kernel in ubuntu to run 2GHz on battery when I tell it to?

Beans

helpful, thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234