Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fedora 8

Beans

Re: Fedora 8

Quote Originally Posted by new2*buntu View Post
    Downloading Fedora 8 Live now. Their non-torrent mirror must be swamped, dl speeds are at 5 kbps, but the torrent is good. Right now downloading at 150 kbps...
    I'm getting 500 k/s from the mirror right now... use the link to see all the mirrors, then try to find one close to you. I am using linux.nssl.noaa.gov right now.
    Last edited by igknighted; November 8th, 2007 at 11:43 PM.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

now it is at 80% 255 KBps
    Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    I'm getting 500 k/s from the mirror right now... use the link to see all the mirrors, then try to find one close to you. I am using <edited until my download is done > right now.
    I am using a wireless network on my laptop so it doesn't have very high speeds, but 250 k/s is good enough for me.
    Well as I am waiting I will post this screenshot:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by new2*buntu; November 8th, 2007 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Screenshot
    My Laptop: 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, Intel Integrated Graphics, Intel Pro Wireless 3945
    Partitioning: 10 GB Debian Testing partition, 10 GB Ubuntu 8.10, 1.2 GB Swap partition,and then 55 GB for "/media/Documents"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

done. finished downloading. now the interesting part will come. if I like what I see, I'll probably use fedora 8 as my main desktop os
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Hidden!

I made a mistake my first time through and didn't let fedora install a bootloader. It's easier if you do, unless you feel like adding the fedora one manually.

Typing from Fedora now. First Impressions:

1. Slick. Just a beautiful usplash, login theme, and default theme. Icons, mouse, it all just has a very polished feel. Surprisingly though, Gutsy has a smoother overall transition from power on to the desktop. More time is spent looking at text, and more switches seem to be made with Fedora. You know what was really nice though, was discovering a nice selection of good looking wallpapers that all kind go with the default theme.

2. Strange having to use root account and set it up during install. First thing I'm going to look into is setting up sudo (if it's not already). Also, even though it detected everything perfectly (as did Ubuntu) I'm going to have to install the pam-keyring manager to prevent having to enter my keyring password to connect to my wireless every login (as I did with Feisty, but Gutsy took care of that for me).

Edit: 2.5 Almost forgot, when installing, I chose advanced options for grub and it gave me the option of disabling ipv6 support on boot for both my devices. Superb!

3. Too soon to say much more other than, give it a try if you have some spare time. It installs real fast from the live cd, about 10 minutes on my dual core with 1 gb ram.

4. As I write this I realized, it's quieter than ubuntu. Could be a kernel thing, but my laptop fan isn't running as much or as loudly when browsing the internet.
    Last edited by Arthur Archnix; November 9th, 2007 at 01:14 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Archnix View Post
    I made a mistake my first time through and didn't let fedora install a bootloader. It's easier if you do, unless you feel like adding the fedora one manually.

Typing from Fedora now. First Impressions:

1. Slick. Just a beautiful usplash, login theme, and default theme. Icons, mouse, it all just has a very polished feel. Surprisingly though, Gutsy has a smoother overall transition from power on to the desktop. More time is spent looking at text, and more switches seem to be made with Fedora. You know what was really nice though, was discovering a nice selection of good looking wallpapers that all kind go with the default theme.

2. Strange having to use root account and set it up during install. First thing I'm going to look into is setting up sudo (if it's not already). Also, even though it detected everything perfectly (as did Ubuntu) I'm going to have to install the pam-keyring manager to prevent having to enter my keyring password to connect to my wireless every login (as I did with Feisty, but Gutsy took care of that for me).

3. Too soon to say much more other than, give it a try if you have some spare time. It installs real fast from the live cd, about 10 minutes on my dual core with 1 gb ram.

4. As I write this I realized, it's quieter than ubuntu. Could be a kernel thing, but my laptop fan isn't running as much or as loudly when browsing the internet.
    1) Technically, it's rhgb, not usplash. Usplash is "ubuntu splash", which is an Ubuntu thing. Rhgb is "red hat graphical boot", the fedora equivalent. They actually work very differently. If you notice, the Fedora bootsplash actually is loading an xserver, which is why you see text until it gets to the point it can load that. This is something that is being worked on.

2) Just add your user in /etc/sudoers. It works very well. Actually, the best way is to make sure that the group "wheel" can use sudo powers, then add yourself to "wheel".

3) Indeed, fastest install I have done.

4) I believe it is the tickless kernel. The kernel doesn't send requests to the processor unless it has to, so it cuts down on the work your cpu does. I don't entirely understand it myself, but it's supposed to be one of F8's big features.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy_Palms View Post
    ok, i think fedora have screwed up their .iso files, there gnome live dvd is 768MB large, it refuses to burn to a CD becaue the disc is too small, but it refuses to burn to a dvd coz its not a dvd image, stupid fedora project great first impression. and it wont boot in vmware :/
    The 64-bit Live versions only fit on DVDs. It's not a bug, and was the same for Fedora 7. You can burn the ISO on a DVD just fine -- worked for me. It does not have to be a 4 GB+ large.

Beans
    Hidden!

Anyone else just lovin' their fedora experience?

I've tried Debian, Slack, Arch, and Ubuntu. Slack and Arch were too advanced for me. Debian was doable, I just didn't 'feel' the fit. Fedora has been an interesting experience so far.

Not that I'm going to drop the buntu, but so far I think Fedora has earned its way onto my third partition (Vista, you slacker).

Beans
    Hidden!

Downloading it as well now. Never tried any other distribution besides Ubuntu (and red hat half a decade ago). It looks nice, and I hope it solves some of my problems with my notebook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The release notes say that only the i686 live CD will actually fit on a CD. It gives instructions on how to transfer the ISO to your hard disc from a USB stick, which might be an option for anyone running on 64-bit. I've downloaded it (thank you, fast work network) and I'll be trying it out later or at the weekend. Wish me luck!

Beans
    Hidden!

Question: can I easily install Fedora alongside Ubuntu (assuming I prepare the partitions correctly) ?
    Will grub give me the choice between both ?
    Can both distro's share the same swap partition ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast