Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fedora 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Fedora 8

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Question: can I easily install Fedora alongside Ubuntu (assuming I prepare the partitions correctly) ?
    Will grub give me the choice between both ?
    Can both distro's share the same swap partition ?
    Yes
    Yes (although you may have to manually edit the grub menu.lst
    Yes

Beans
    Hidden!

Fedora 8 is very slick, and very lovely indeed. My only complaint is that, yet again, font rendering seems to be worse out-of-the-box in comparison to Ubuntu; could someone more knowledgeable take a guess as to why this might be?

Weak looking, smudged fonts on F8

7.10 comparison

Edit: After doing a little sniffing around, it seems that the difference is due to Ubuntu having the bytecode interpreter enabled by default, whereas Fedora doesn't.

Edit2: I didn't realise that Fedora's DPI is set to 90 by default. Upping it to 96 improves things, but rendering still isn't as good as 7.10
    Last edited by MellonCollie; November 10th, 2007 at 05:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hey, I don't no if anyone else has noticed this?
    I have Ubuntu 7.4, Win XP and currently trying Fedora 8 on a third part.
    Fedora 8 is pretty, but noticeably slower than Ubuntu 7.4 or 7.10 for that matter. Win is a joke, speed wise, of course...!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It wasn't slower for me, ran really well actually, but I had the same font rendering problem that MellonCollie mentioned (in 1680x1050 too). I spent a couple days trying to fix it, even copied over files from Ubuntu, but I never got the fonts to look as clear, sharp and crisp as in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

its just as fast as ubunut here, im really liking it, especially as gutsy was so dissappointing for me, you may well not see me using ubuntu again till hardy tribes start coming out, but one problem i would still like to know, why is pirut/yumex/yum so ******* SLOW! seriously its a joke, anyone know anything i can do to speed it up? (noone mention apt4rpm, i kindof like my system non-broken)
    Jeremy Clarkson - "A Dazzling Hero of Political Incorrectness"
    My LastFM profile
    want to Give each GTK program its own theme? well look Here

Beans

Oh well, I gave F8 a try today. I'm not really that impressed. Pirut seems slower than Opensuse's Yast. Also I had Firefox crash twice on me while browsing sites I can browse fine in other distros. Also some other minor annoyances I had to get around.

I'll stick with Opensuse and Sidux on my machines for now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    Oh well, I gave F8 a try today. I'm not really that impressed. Pirut seems slower than Opensuse's Yast. Also I had Firefox crash twice on me while browsing sites I can browse fine in other distros. Also some other minor annoyances I had to get around.

I don't know why pirut is default, it's just a bad app. Try yumex instead. Or just call yum from the command line. It's a really great package manager when used that way. Slightly slower than apt (it's default behavior is to update the repo's each time, for example), but much much faster than zypper or the yast tools in suse. Of course, apt and smart are available to handle package management as well. But yum via the CLI seems best to me.

@ whoever was wondering about fonts.

First, I don't see a noticable difference in the fonts in your pictures. Honestly if you asked me which font rendering I preferred, I would lean towards Fedora's. If you want to adjust it, I would try turning up the font anti-aliasing in the gconf-editor. Turn grayscale to rgba and turn hinting from medium to full.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post

The GUI front-ends always suck.

Command-line YUM is quite nice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ButteBlues View Post
    The GUI front-ends always suck.

Command-line YUM is quite nice.
    Yeah, after trying Pirut I just used Yum instead. I could live with Yum, but the firefox crashing was getting on my nerves. I guess I could have tried reinstalling it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by new2*buntu View Post
    the screenshots do look nice.
    Hehe, the screenshots for Fedora always look great, but unfortunately, imo, the actual release never performs as good as it looks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast