Thread: A coule of questions about Wubi and Ubuntu

Beans

A couple of questions about Wubi and Ubuntu :Help Needed Please:

My first question is, that when I start up my computer and choose Ubuntu, it goes to a black screen for about 5 minutes. I wan't to know if it's supposed to do that.

Question #2:

I wen't into Ubuntu and I don't have an internet connection. I use a wireless router, through D-Link. I haven't a clue how to get internet to work.

Question #3:

Can I actually install other software on Ubuntu? If so, what are specifications and stuff?

Final Question:

I saw a Youtube video once about Ubuntu Beryl, and it had a desktop on a cube, that you can turn and spin to switch to desktops.

I hope someone can help. Any bit of help will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by jeremycollins; November 7th, 2007 at 03:41 AM. Reason: One question removed

Beans

Re: A couple of questions about Wubi and Ubuntu :Help Needed Please:

Quote Originally Posted by jeremycollins View Post
    My first question is, that when I start up my computer and choose Ubuntu, it goes to a black screen for about 5 minutes. I wan't to know if it's supposed to do that.
    No it should not take anywhere near 5 minutes to boot and no the screen should not be black. That of course depends on when it happens. Is it after installation (AFTER the chocolate fudge screen with the orange progress bar)? Can you boot into ubuntu at the end of it? Did you choose read-only installation? Do you see "Install Ubuntu" on your desktop?

Question #2:

I wen't into Ubuntu and I don't have an internet connection. I use a wireless router, through D-Link. I haven't a clue how to get internet to work.
    There should be an icon on the top right that give wireless connection options. Not that some wireless network cards are not supported in which case you will see the icon but with no wireless options.

Question #3:
    Can I actually install other software on Ubuntu? If so, what are specifications and stuff?
    Very simple "applications>add/remove", but you need an internet connection first

Final Question:
    I saw a Youtube video once about Ubuntu Beryl, and it had a desktop on a cube, that you can turn and spin to switch to desktops.
    On successful installation the 3D desktop will be installed by default unless you have incompatible hardware. The 3D cube needs to be activated separately. The 3D desktop works if you see shadows under the menus.