Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu forum server attacks. Come on guys...WTF

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu forum server attacks. Come on guys...WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus
    dude, relax.

The ddos was actually a slashdotting, because of a link to poofyhairguy's enlightened gnome howto.
    Could you explain what a "slashdotting" is, please?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    I hope hackers' motherboards and harddisks melt down (together with their ballocks if they have them). Sorry but I'm very angry. Yesterday I was afraid of losing the Forum.
    If "hackers'" motherboards and harddisks melted, you wouldn't have an OS to run right now at all.

~djc
    It's not the security of your machine that worries me. My problem is when you waste my bandwidth because your compromised machine is used to hammer mine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dcraven
    If "hackers'" motherboards and harddisks melted, you wouldn't have an OS to run right now at all.

~djc
    Of course I meant the hackers who attacked the forum. I'm not against good hackers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Could you explain what a "slashdotting" is, please?
    http://slashdot.org has a huge readership, which likes following links, especially if the links are interesting (and not, say, goatse.cx)

Thus, when poofy posted a link to his enlightened gnome howto, thousands of slashdot readers immediately went CLICKY!

The resulting spike in traffic is an effective ddos--but it is accidental rather than malicious.

thus: chill out. Ubuntu was just vicimized by fame.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

http://slashdot.org has a huge readership, which likes following links, especially if the links are interesting (and not, say, goatse.cx)

Thus, when poofy posted a link to his enlightened gnome howto, thousands of slashdot readers immediately went CLICKY!

The resulting spike in traffic is an effective ddos--but it is accidental rather than malicious.

Ok, thanks now everything's clear.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, thanks now everything's clear.
    always heard the notion "fame can sometimes be bad"...guess this is the first time ive seen it happen to me.....lol...i mean effect me.

PS- but talking abt "poofy". he did do a great job with that howto. helped me a out bigtime (thanks)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by skoal
    All is fair in love and war, and turnabout is fair play. I say we link a /. article here...

muahahah...

Yeah, I couldn't read these forums half the day as well. On the upside, because of it, I actually saw the sun for the first time in a long while. Dang, it burns. It buuuurns...

\\//_

I wonder if we have enough to hit Slashdot....that would take a lot of people at once.

Skoal, the sun is bad, dont go near it....dont touch it dont look at it. Morlockian Monitor light is just fine.

=)

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...tid=123&tid=17

quick everyone jump on this AOL /. article.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

The ddos was actually a slashdotting, because of a link to poofyhairguy's enlightened gnome howto.
    My mistake then, I could have sworn it happened before. Nevermind, I guess I'll never be much good for any eye witnessing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Brun, theres nothing wrong with the Goatse....Long live the Goatse.

This link proves it.

The 8 stages of the Goaste.

http://www.the-elite.net/ClarkPage/Phases/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KingBahamut
    [...] ...dont touch it dont look at it. Morlockian Monitor light is just fine. [...]
    Morlockian Monitor light? I think I remember that from an episode of 'Land of the Lost'. Isn't that when Cha-ka and Holly had a tough decision to make? As they stared at the Morlock portal showing them scenes from their homeworld, instead of going through, they took the purple cave crystal and shined it at the sleestack's eyes, temporarily blinding it so they could escape. I remember now...

muahahaha...

\\//_

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast