Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is gnome-launch-box the best program ever?...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: is gnome-launch-box the best program ever?...

very nice.
    Also try gnome do
    Cheerydayz...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Its an awesome program... but for some reason it has never been able to open firefox - which is kind of annoying
    "We have nothing to fear but fear itself. And Chuck Norris." - President Roosevelt

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Yep, segfaults here too, even if I compile it.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Check out GNOME Do: http://launchpad.net/gc

GNOME Do allows you to quickly search for many objects present in your GNOME desktop environment (applications, Evolution contacts, Firefox bookmarks, files, artists and albums in Rhythmbox, Pidgin buddies) and perform commonly used commands on those objects (Run, Open, Email, Chat, Play, etc.).

Here's a preliminary package: gnome-do_0.0.1-1_i386.deb

Beans

It's a great program. GNOME Do isn't worth it since it's still in production. I don't have any problems whatsoever with it and it runs firefox just fine too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You're right, GNOME Do isn't worth it since it's still in production. On that note, Linux, Ubuntu, Firefox, Compiz fusion, Pidgin, OpenOffice, etc. aren't worth it either - they're still in production too. Better stick with GNOME Launch Box - no one is working on it anymore, so you don't have to worry about pesky new features or other improvements.

On a non-sarcastic note, GNOME Do will let you manually type URLs to open in your default browser. GNOME Launch Box can only open Firefox bookmarks (I actually submitted a patch to enable this in GNOME Launch Box, but it the developers didn't seem interested so I wrote GNOME Do). Also, GNOME Launch Box only lets you open applications in your GNOME main menu, whereas GNOME Do indexes those applications, AND the hidden ones, AND your preference applications, AND system administration applications, AND lets you enter commands and run them in a shell.

Beans

I think he just meant that it's really not quite ready for the big time yet, there are some basic things to be done. On the other hand I use it and got it running with no bother and it's working great for me so I don't know why anyone shouldn't "bother"...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Packages are now available in a PPA archive:

Do packages are currently available through a Launchpad PPA. These packages are from the still-in-development codebase and, like the project, are potentially unstable. Please make sure to provide feedback on packages to the mailing list.

To use the packages from the PPA, add the following lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rharding/ubuntu gutsy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/rharding/ubuntu gutsy main

and install GNOME Do with the command: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-do.

For Hardy packages, change "gutsy" in the lines above to "hardy".

PPA downloads are not signed so you have to ignore the error about "The following packages cannot be authenticated."
    This will keep you updated on this work in progress

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12