Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: That Steve bloke who started Apple doesn't think Linux will 'make a big mark'...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: That Steve bloke who started Apple doesn't think Linux will 'make a big mark'...

thats good in a sense. Only those who are interested (and realize the potential) will try it out. Its obviously not for everyone.
    and how come there are so many flavours of linux , if there wasn't any potential..

EDIT: We must remember, "If it is good, it will appeal the crowd, no matter how difficult it is to learn.. and that's what linux should be. "
    Last edited by genbuntu; October 30th, 2007 at 09:58 AM.
    Long Live Ubuntu !

Beans

Re: That Steve bloke who started Apple doesn't think Linux will 'make a big mark'...

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    he may be right, but macs probably aren't going to get much bigger, either. how many people are there who will spend thousands on clothing, hair and personal hygiene products just to look like they just rolled out bed?
    Most GNU/Linux users already look like they just rolled out of bed... what are you getting at?

Beans

heh, though disappointed about apple for having no new real innonvations, he said he was surprised about the iphone.

well, Ubuntu specifically might later surprise him too

Beans

Linux is still a bit difficult for the average joe. Unless you can find some way to get all the proprietary codecs to be included in a gnu/linux distro.Also, until more hardware companies start supporting gnu/linux, it will not make the "big mark". I do hope gnu/linux becomes popular though, since I really like this operating system.
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans

I think it's inevitable that the big companies are worried about the uptake of Linux. I'm not particularly technically minded or PC literate, but have found Linux to be a pretty easy to use system, and I do demand things from a PC beyond just the basics. The Linux community can be it's own worst enemy sometimes, but really if I had to set up a PC for my dad for example, I'd have no qualms about putting Ubuntu on that for him with no worries.

So I dunno, it just sounds like the fear to me. The last thing these people want is a customer base moving to alternatives, and I guess they are already seeing that. That's why MS is so worried and seeking to cause problems for the community, and I suppose the Apple people can see that too. To say Linux isn't making a big mark is misguided really isn't it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux and the plethora of distros run the gamut from very user friendly to the expert level.

Ubuntu aims at beginner level easy install and a win'em over attitude. I happen to fully support this. You can have near-full functionality in near minutes that someone used to navigating windows can readily adapt to. Not a fly by night product IMHO. Ubuntu has done wonders for the free software movement and it is no wonder it is the #1 distro.

Compile your own Kernel etc from source and make it (OS) what you want. That may not be for most Linux users but it creates a freedom that M$ and Apple do not want us to have!

In any case I've found Ubuntu to be very powerful. It is what you make it.

Also, with this install I've left it running 24/7 for a year with the rare reboot and I've had zero problems. ZERO. No lost files or crashes or weirdness with the software. Suck on that Microsoft. Try that with any of your OS's.

S. Wozniak is an eccentric philanthropist who runs his mouth off from time to time. People listen to him because he is a billionaire. He hasn't had all that much to do with Apple in a long time.
    Grasshoppah -snatch the pebberl from my hand... aah... beginah ruck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by radtek View Post
    Also, with this install I've left it running 24/7 for a year with the rare reboot and I've had zero problems.
    And you wonder why the earth is running low on electricity.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by floke View Post
    SW: I don't think it's going to make a big mark. The masses of users aren't going to be going that way.
    So where's this fellow been during the recent "computer age"?

It's already made a huge mark, and if you take a good look at any Windows or Mac OS you'll see it. Too late for that, fellow.

How big of a mark something makes has never necessarily corresponded to what the "masses of users" did, of from where the most money was derived.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    And you wonder why the earth is running low on electricity.
    It's not. But yeah I turn mine off when not in use for sake of conservation while we're still generating a majority of the electricity with fossil fuels etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSwigger
    But yeah I turn mine off when not in use for sake of conservation while we're still generating a majority of the electricity with fossil fuels etc.
    I thought all Linux users had a giant wind turbine in their backyard! Is it only me?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast