Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Bleeding edge e17 with updater script!

Beans

HOWTO: Bleeding edge e17 with updater script!

Introduction

Hello!
    This howto is for people who want to use the Enlightenment e17 WM and that being from CVS.
    I suggest removing all previous versions of Enlightenment before using this.

I will also give you a quick introduction to customizing, modules and so on. I've based this HOWTO on the script availible from the winged.it dev, this script being a improved version of Rastermans (the official E founder) own get-e script.
    Enlightenment Window Manager (WM) is for everyone who likes eye-candy, simple stuff and speed. It's pretty hard to setup since it has quite some bugs, but if you work it out it's really comfortable!

Dependencies

Ok, so I figured this must be in here since it won't work without it lol. Install all deps by running:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gcc-3.4 g++-3.4 libx11-dev libpng12-dev libtiff4-dev libfreetype6-dev libssl-dev zlib1g-dev xlibmesa-dev xlibmesa-gl-dev libxine-dev libtag1-dev libxml2-dev automake autogen libsqlite3-dev libtagc0-dev
    Also install your graphicsdrivers dev package. nvidia-glx-dev is what I use.

Accept any new packages that wants to get installed along with this.
    NOTE! All packages might not be used, but I wasn't sure what packages that actually was needed, so this is more a "accurate guess". This should get it installed though.

Getting e17

So, first of we need the script to get e17 obviousley. It's located here ; get the latest version of it, current is 0.3.3. Now, I'm gonna assume you want a folder in your home-dir for the e17 source, you can put it wherever you feel it will fit .

Code:
    $ cd ~
    Code:
    $ mkdir e17cvs
    Now, get the script in there:

Code:
    $ mv location/of/script ~/e17cvs/

Now, we need to configure the script for our needs.

Code:
    $ gedit ~/e17cvs/get_e.sh
    I enabled most application support but that's because I like to mixture with development stuff. For you I recommend to leave it as it is unless you reeally want something in there.
    Time to run the script!

Code:
    $ cd ~/e17cvs
    Code:
    $ sh get_e.sh
    It will ask you for your password, just type it in, this isn't a evil hacker script that steals your password and then sets up a ssh on your comp and allows entrance for the author. lol that was a pretty neat hack idea Anyway, this process will take QUITE some time, like an hour or two, depending on your connection and speed of your computer. Might even take longer. Worth noting is that you wont have to redo this special thing unless they update ALL of cvs which I find hard to believe they will in a soon future and all at once. Later when you update Enlightenment it will only re-download and re-build what has been committed changes to,

At the end the script will display what has been built.

Now, log out and make sure there's a entry for Enlightenment where you pick what window-manager to use. If there isn't, just go back to gnome and open up a terminal:

Code:
    $ sudo gedit /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop
    And add:

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Enlightenment
    Comment=Enlightenment Window Manager - www.enlightenment.org
    Type=XSession
    Exec=/usr/bin/enlightenment
    TryExec=/usr/bin/enlightenment
    Creds to whoever made that fix in the first place in another thread in this forum. Think it was Smoon.

So, now, logout and log into Enlightenment. You will see the E Sun followed by the default desktop. It's really neat

Take your time, look around, familirize yourself with it.
    When you've done this, it's time to configure!

Gnome and KDE menus

Ok, first off, what do we miss in here? That's right, our menus from gnome and KDE! Even though I don't use it too much I'll show you how to get them over. We're going to use a application called e17genmenu. This applications generates all your menus to Enlightenment.
    NOTE! It didn't work properly for me, some menu entries got messed up when being brought to Enlightenment from Gnome and some just wasn't there, but overall I got what I wanted so I'm satisfied . And no, it doesn't ruin the menus in gnome, it basicly copies them and translates them into E.

You will be able to access these menus from the usual menu and favourites.

Time to acutally preform all this!

Surf to this site and get a copy of e17genmenu.

Code:
    $ cd /location/for/download
    $ tar -xzf e17genmenu*
    $ cd e17genmenu*
    $ ./autogen.sh
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    Now, use the acutal program:

Code:
    e17genmenu -g
    That's for gnome.

Code:
    e17genmenu -k
    And that's for KDE!

If you want certain icon themes for your menu that you already have, use the extension --gnome-theme=<themename> or --kde-theme=<themename> after the -g or -k. After this you can customize your menu as you like by using Entangle (availible in left-click -> Configuration). You can also add stuff and remove stuff from the bar you have and so on.

Customizing the interface

Ok! You might want to move stuff around on the desktop which isn't hard at all, and very well-done. Use the left-click -> Gadgets -> Edit Mode for that, you can resize and move all modules practicly wherever you want. Worth noting is that everything on the desktop are modules, which means you can remove/disable everything without any hazzle. You can find more options too under the modules configuration in left-click->Modules->Name.

Extra modules

Time to load some extra modules that come with the CVS! As always, worth noting is that the whole CVS is under heavy-development so there's no certainty at all that everything will work buggfree.

There are a few usefull modules that aren't loaded by default:

flame - flame extension for your desktop, pure eyecandy
    snow - snow extension for your desktop, pure eyecandy
    notes - keep notes on your desktop
    monitor - monitor CPU, network and memory
    engage - and OSX style application bar

To load these you run:

Code:
    $ enlightenment_remote --module-load <modulename>
    And they will pop up in the Modules menu!

Also there are a few other external modules, 3rd party, but I will leave that for you to find. Look in forums and so on, www.edevelop.org.

Themes and backgrounds

The last part of this how-to in its current state. Themes is a great part of E, so is backgrounds. E supports animated backgrounds. Look for themes and backgrounds on www.get-e.org and www.edevelop.org. To install and use themes & backgrounds you must put them in your E folder. Like this:

Code:
    $ mv /location/to/theme ~/.e/e/themes/
    And for backgrounds:

Code:
    $ mv /location/to/background ~/.e/e/backgrounds/
    To change themes, use the left-click -> Themes menu. To change backgrounds, use Emblem, located in left-click -> Configuration -> Background Selector. Worth noting is that you have to click on the big picture of the background to set it as background.

Final notes

We've reached the end!
    Anyway, I strongly recommend running this script at least once a day, since there are at least one commit to the cvs per day.

Hope this guide helps you guys! Feedback appreaciated.

Updates

08-26-2005: More dependencies.
    08-25-2005: Update, changed the order of the update info. Lol. Neat update
    08-25-2005: Major update! Added the dependencies.
    08-24-2005: Added note about emblem and themes.
    Last edited by Nightblade; August 26th, 2005 at 06:25 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Bleeding edge e17 with updater script!

You may want to mention that this script requires that you execute sudo apt-get install build-essential cvs at the very least in order to run. Also, will this work with automake 1.4? I thought e17cvs wanted a later version.

I'm trying it out now, so I'll post again if I notice any other issues.
    Last edited by Stormy Eyes; August 25th, 2005 at 02:02 AM.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans

You also need to execute sudo apt-get install automake autogen.

Beans

OK. Running this script on Hoary with the packages I mentioned earlier installed yields the following result:

Code:
    === Building: e17/apps/e... ===

make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.

=> Autofoo: e17/apps/e

Running aclocal...
    aclocal: configure.in: 18: macro `AM_ENABLE_SHARED' not found in library
    aclocal: configure.in: 19: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
    I will install libtool with apt-get and try again.

Beans

OK, this bastard's building now. I'll post again tomorrow, when I've had time to actually try it out.

EDIT: So much for a smooth build. It failed while building EVAS, with the following output:

Code:
    gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/evas_software_x11_test evas_test_main.o evas_software_x11_main.o  ../../src/lib/.libs/libevas.so -lm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXext
    ../../src/lib/.libs/libevas.so: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeQueryVersion'
    ../../src/lib/.libs/libevas.so: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeGetModeLine'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[4]: *** [evas_software_x11_test] Error 1
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/matthew/src/e17cvs/e17/libs/evas/src/bin'
    make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/matthew/src/e17cvs/e17/libs/evas/src/bin'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/matthew/src/e17cvs/e17/libs/evas/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/matthew/src/e17cvs/e17/libs/evas'
    make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
    Perhaps I'm missing X.org development packages.
    Last edited by Stormy Eyes; August 25th, 2005 at 02:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Oh sweet!

I just installed last night from Smoon's repo and it's great. Then I saw Smoon's announcement that he wouldn't be keeping the repo up.

I'll be trying this shortly.
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans

You might want to wait until I've finished, in case I see any other issues. I had to change the $PREFIX from /usr/local to /usr, which might not work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

You might want to wait until I've finished
    Dude, you're killing me, here.

Oh......alright.
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans

OK, I couldn't find any xserver-xorg development packages, and changing the prefix from /usr/local to /usr didn't help. I'm still getting this output when building EVAS:

Code:
    gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/evas_software_x11_test evas_test_main.o evas_software_x11_main.o  ../../src/lib/.libs/libevas.so -lm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXext
    ../../src/lib/.libs/libevas.so: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeQueryVersion'
    ../../src/lib/.libs/libevas.so: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeGetModeLine'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    Don't bother trying to run this right now; the code itself might be broken.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hmmmmm. Yep. Sounds best to wait.

Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast