Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM Model M

Beans

IBM Model M

So, guess what just came in the mail? My very own, very first IBM Model M keyboard. It's a used blue logo, but looks pristine. It's definitely worth the $30 I spent on it. It's got a little logo in the top right that says "ADP Partner Financial System" that I might try to take off soon, but otherwise, a really solid keyboard. Any other Model M users or lovers?
    archlinux \\ amd+ati \\ subtle \\ website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: IBM Model M

As you might be able to tell, I'm a fan of these keyboards. I have several including one with the old square metal IBM logo plate in the upper right corner and no lights for caps lock, etc.

Welcome to the club.

Beans

I actually have one of those things laying around here and it still works...
    I use it as my backup keyboard as I have the DIN to PS/2 adapter for it.
    Last edited by SunnyRabbiera; August 29th, 2008 at 12:49 AM.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm confused. What's special about the keyboard? I've never heard of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you google "model m" or "clickykeyboard" you'll get lots of info.

One of the best stories about it can be found here.

Beans

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

I'll be getting that in a week; the blank one of course. It's supposed to be better than the model M, we'll see.

Beans

I was looking into the Das Keyboard at first for the buckling spring goodness, but when I realized that I could get a Model M for $30, I just decided to go for it. If I want a blank keyboard, I can always spraypaint it. Actually, one of my favorite shows, Hak.5, made an episode where they did exactly that.
    archlinux \\ amd+ati \\ subtle \\ website

Beans

I got a Model M Keyboard with my IBM PS/2 286 PC back in 1989 and have been using it with every computer I have built since.

As long as its able to work with modern PC's I will continue using it. Another good keyboard was the big Northgate OmniKey keyboard. I have one of these also but some of the keys seemed to get stuck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_42 View Post
    I was looking into the Das Keyboard at first for the buckling spring goodness, but when I realized that I could get a Model M for $30, I just decided to go for it. If I want a blank keyboard, I can always spraypaint it. Actually, one of my favorite shows, Hak.5, made an episode where they did exactly that.
    It came today and it is much more than a blank keyboard. Easily the most comfortable keyboard I've ever used. The clicks might be a bit loud though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Another Model M user here! I picked mine up for $3.99 at a thrift store a couple months back.

I have several including one with the old square metal IBM logo plate in the upper right corner and no lights for caps lock, etc.
    That's the one I have and am currently using. I also have a Model M2 (smaller with a PS/2 connector) that I use on my test PCs.

I believe that my accuracy has improved ever since I've been using this keyboard. It's noisy, but I don't care. My computer sits in the basement so nobody can hear me
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast