Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: People give up to easy!

Beans

Re: People give up to easy!

Quote Originally Posted by popch View Post
    Public transportation is about four minute's walk from my home and right across the road from where I work. I get to read a few books while riding to and from work.
    Very handy!

I get the best of both worlds - 15 minutes' ride to the train station, then 20 minutes on the train where I can read the paper/a book, listen to podcasts, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by perlluver View Post
    The guy couldn't get a program installed, so he is going back to Windows. WOW!!!

If it was something important with no alternatives I would understand, as long as they did not try to install an .exe file.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In my case, I try things very long. After that I give up. Several months later, at some random moment, I decide it is time to try again. Most of the time it will work then.
    Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40Ghz | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7800 | HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS38 ATA Device | OCZ Agility 3 SATA III SSD 60GB (ntfs [win7 boot], ntfs [win7], ext4 [linux]) + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB (RAID0, ntfs [data])

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    As are cars. I'm not a mechanic, but I know to check the tyres, oil, transmission fluid, etc regularly, in order to keep my car* running smoothly. I don't expect it to "just work" - I know that, as a car owner*, there are certain basic things I need to take responsibility for.

If most people put the same lack of effort into learning to drive as they do into learning how to use their computer, we'd have far fewer drivers on the road**.

* Hypothetically speaking - I don't actually own a car.

** As a regular cyclist, I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing.
    Thankyou! That's what i've been preaching for ages.
    The toaster analogy someone made was also bloody excellent. I mean it's freakin high tech were talking about.
    People expect it to work without effort, and it has to do *everything*. Can you *see* the dilemma? You can't have a toaster that can do online banking, by loading it with bread and pushing a button alone.
    Also, how would you think our roads would look if people didn't have to bother about a drivers licence and all of that (yes, we force them because they'd probably think it was unnecessary if we didn't.) I mean, they just wanna go from here to there.
    - "I don't care about how a car works. It should be easy."
    Thank god we have an authority enforcing driving licenses, because in reality people just wanna press the pedal and steer.

- "but people don't need to know what's under the hood"
    Yes, that is correct, but they still have to know how to operate the stereo and follow road signs and plan their route.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345