Thread: Counter Strike 2D In WINE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

[SOLVED] Counter Strike 2D In WINE

So I want to play a version of Counter Strike that is a 2D port. Now what happens when I run it under WINE this happens.

Code:
    blithen@Sparky:/media/disk-1/Counter-Strike-2d$ sudo wine CounterStrike2D.exe
    [sudo] password for blithen:
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34f820,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x11f550)->((nil),00000008)
    fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x11f550)->(0x10024,00000008)
    fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x11f550)->(0x10024,00000013)
    fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
    fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_RestoreAllSurfaces (0x11f550): Stub
    fixme:d3d7:IDirect3DImpl_7_EvictManagedTextures (0x11f550): Stub!
    blithen@Sparky:/media/disk-1/Counter-Strike-2d$ glxinfo | grep rendering
    direct rendering: Yes
    Last edited by blithen; October 26th, 2007 at 11:39 PM.
    Ubuntu User # 17031
    Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    who needs support when you use Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33 View Post
    Open-Source: The power to create completely useless, but extremely cool, programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Counter Strike 2D In WINE

I can see that your system complains about not being able to switch to 16 bpp...
    Aren't there any graphical options in the game menus that would allow you to run the game in 32 bpp?

Or you could try to run in a wine virtual desktop (winecfg > Graphics > Enable virtual desktop), I think it'll allow specific configuration changes made by games.

One last thing that has nothing to do with your issue, Wine devs recommend running wine in user mode, and not root, for security reasons. You shouldn't (and needn't) run wine using sudo...

Hope that helps
    Restons Infidèles, Absurde Adversité

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by karth View Post
    I can see that your system complains about not being able to switch to 16 bpp...
    Aren't there any graphical options in the game menus that would allow you to run the game in 32 bpp?

Or you could try to run in a wine virtual desktop (winecfg > Graphics > Enable virtual desktop), I think it'll allow specific configuration changes made by games.

One last thing that has nothing to do with your issue, Wine devs recommend running wine in user mode, and not root, for security reasons. You shouldn't (and needn't) run wine using sudo...

Hope that helps
    I usually don't run it in root. I was just trying it to see what happens.
    Ubuntu User # 17031
    Open-Source: The power to create completely useless, but extremely cool, programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Running Wine with a root account or sudo can lead to very bad things. There is nothing to be gained from trying it.

I tried running the game myself and got it to launch while producing the same errors you received (the "fixme" messages are usually just developer notes that mean nothing to a normal user), but after it launched I got a "memory access violation" and the game crashed. Nothing of use is output to the terminal. This game has no entry in Wine's AppDB, which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I have often found that games with no entry are games that don't work at all.

Chances are the game is looking for some function that has not been implemented in Wine yet, hence the "fixme" messages that end with "Stub". Stubs are placeholders in the Wine code for features that are still in development. Sometimes the presence of a stub can allow the program to get past some minor unimplemented function and still run, but it looks like that is not the case with this game.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    Running Wine with a root account or sudo can lead to very bad things. There is nothing to be gained from trying it.

I tried running the game myself and got it to launch while producing the same errors you received (the "fixme" messages are usually just developer notes that mean nothing to a normal user), but after it launched I got a "memory access violation" and the game crashed. Nothing of use is output to the terminal. This game has no entry in Wine's AppDB, which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I have often found that games with no entry are games that don't work at all.

Chances are the game is looking for some function that has not been implemented in Wine yet, hence the "fixme" messages that end with "Stub". Stubs are placeholders in the Wine code for features that are still in development. Sometimes the presence of a stub can allow the program to get past some minor unimplemented function and still run, but it looks like that is not the case with this game.
    w00t. Thanks for the info!
    Ubuntu User # 17031