Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Myth could not connect to the database

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

[SOLVED] Myth could not connect to the database

I just went through the LVM sticky walk through. Despite the ugly post I made in there about being unable to mount the volume to /mnt/sdb1 the process went okay. I was able to copy all of /var/lib into my new lvm partition and then extend the volume to include the left over space on /dev/sda. df -h show the following:

Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1             9.2G  1.5G  7.3G  17% /
    varrun                506M  216K  506M   1% /var/run
    varlock               506M     0  506M   0% /var/lock
    udev                  506M  104K  506M   1% /dev
    devshm                506M     0  506M   0% /dev/shm
    lrm                   506M   34M  472M   7% /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile
    /dev/mapper/vg-lib    585G   81G  504G  14% /var/lib
    I've verified that all of the data in my previous /var/lib is in my new volume. But when I try to open up mythfrontend I get the backend setup tool. I choose English and then it says that "Myth could not connect to the database"

I can verify that the mythconverg database exists in /var/lib/mysql. If I attempt to run /etc/init.d/mysql start it fails.

Is there some sort of repair utility I can run? Or is there some mysql log file I can look into to see why it's failing?
    Jonathan Brown
    The best part of waking up is not Folgers in your cup...it's knowing that Chuck Norris didn't kill you in your sleep.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Myth could not connect to the database

How did you copy over your old stuff on the old drive? Perhaps permissions didn't copy over properly.

Beans
    Distro

I think you're right. When I tried the cp -p -r /var/lib/* /mnt/sdb1 command it seemed to fail. It got as far as copying 8 GB and then stopped. I waited for several hours for it to copy all the files but it never got past 8 GB.

I ended up rebooting and then using gksudo thunar at the desktop and selecting all the files and then copying them to /mnt/sdb1.

This wouldn't surprise me if this were bad. I get the feeling you're going to tell me that I've got to start all over.
    Last edited by Meph1st0; October 26th, 2007 at 03:34 AM.
    Jonathan Brown
    The best part of waking up is not Folgers in your cup...it's knowing that Chuck Norris didn't kill you in your sleep.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
    I think you're right. When I tried the cp -p -r /var/lib/* /mnt/sdb1 command it seemed to fail. It got as far as copying 8 GB and then stopped. I waited for several hours for it to copy all the files but it never got past 8 GB.

I ended up rebooting and then using gksudo thunar at the desktop and selecting all the files and then copying them to /mnt/sdb1.

This wouldn't surprise me if this were bad. I get the feeling you're going to tell me that I've got to start all over.
    Yeah if you just did cp, and not sudo cp, you won't have gotten them all copied over.

Beans
    Distro

Well prior to doing the CP I had done sudo -i and entered my password. I believe I had the # prompt. So let's just assume I hadn't copied everything over (now I'm really wondering) do I just need to start over now? format everything? or just recreate the database? or can I even recreate the database?
    Jonathan Brown

Beans
    Distro

Well prior to doing the CP I had done sudo -i and entered my password. I believe I had the # prompt. So let's just assume I hadn't copied everything over (now I'm really wondering) do I just need to start over now? format everything? or just recreate the database? or can I even recreate the database?
    If you've still got the old files, i'd say use rsync

Code:
    sudo rsync -avz /mnt/oldpath/ /mnt/newpath/
    Be careful with the trailing slashes though.

That will update all the permissions and any missing or incomplete files.

Beans
    Distro

If I've already extended the volume to occupy my old /var/lib partition and I now have only one large /var/lib folder how do I use that command?

sudo rsync -avz /var/lib /var/librecover something like that?
    Jonathan Brown

Beans
    Distro

Keep the trailing slashes and that should be right. I always mix them up, but I think you are supposed to keep them in this case.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, so I used sudo rsync -avz /var/lib/ /var/librecover/ and it looked like it was working but then I got the following error messages and it stopped:

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 16385 bytes [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (143216 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(454) [sender= 2.6.9]

I went into /var/librecover and I can see that it didn't recover everything. It's missing the whole mythtv folder and the mysql folder. This is bad right?
    Jonathan Brown

Beans
    Distro

Ok, so I used sudo rsync -avz /var/lib/ /var/librecover/ and it looked like it was working but then I got the following error messages and it stopped:

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 16385 bytes [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (143216 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(454) [sender= 2.6.9]

I went into /var/librecover and I can see that it didn't recover everything. It's missing the whole mythtv folder and the mysql folder. This is bad right?
    Dying hard drive possibly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast