Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Vmware Workstation 6 in Gutsy

Did what jcottier suggested. Editing in file
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
    following lines (removing remarks #):
    Code:
    #mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    #domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    #ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    #mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb
    solved the problem.

No vmware workstation configuration change was necessary. Simple reboot and iPod was detected as USB device. This afternoon I will continue testing. I hope that more important devices like our scanner (Canon) will be supported, too.

I appreciated your help. Many thanks again.

rob*

Beans

The high cpu usage on the host and the guest is because of the new kernel 2.6.22-14 that comes with Gutsy Gibon. Tried loads of stuff. Nothing helped. So I compiled kernel version 2.6.20-16. Installed workstation. Host and cpu usage are normal and Gutsy Gibon simply rocks!!!

Beans

You need to run sudo vmware-config.pl and usually accept all the default answers. But I would recommend you read the relevant bits of the manual as you may want a different network connection type. Its gives good instructions for Linux install and running. After that you just run "vmware" for workstation. But if you have upgraded to Gutsy then vmware needs to be rebuilt for you current kernel. Uninstall the old version, download the latest version from vmware and run their script.You will need the build-essential meta package so that you have all the kernel headers, compilers and stuff the script needs.

Beans

rob* I only know this stuff because I use vmware at work a lot. Apparently they now use /proc/bus/usb instead of /dev/bus/usb for some reason, I think it was better permission control and security. I was bit annoyed I had to trawl though so many formums/bugs to find this. Its been on the cards for over a year apparently, so vmware etc are blamed, but its you and I that have to suffer! Shame it was not in the Gutsy release notes. Anyway vmware 5 had 2 USB 1.1 ports, vmware 6 has these and also 6 USB 2 ports and is compatible with streaming devices. Some older devices may need a bit of extra stuff on the vmx file (a sort of hardware script) but I only had to do this once on vmware 5 for an old ebookman (its all in the vmware manual. Just search for it in the pdf). Everything else just works out the box, or at least as well as it does in native windows anyway

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

jcottier: Thanks for your infos.

Like others I also recognized a high system load.

Code:
    root@kulix:~# top
    top - 14:19:32 up  5:23,  1 user,  load average: 1.14, 0.49, 0.20
    Tasks: 138 total,   3 running, 134 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie
    Cpu(s):  2.5%us, 12.9%sy,  0.0%ni, 84.2%id,  0.0%wa,  0.2%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st
    Mem:   3107664k total,  2980448k used,   127216k free,    77520k buffers
    Swap:  4996172k total,    19012k used,  4977160k free,  2529068k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
     8604 roberts    5 -10 1705m 858m 847m S   26 28.3   1:00.24 vmware-vmx
     7229 roberts   15   0 34264  16m  12m S    4  0.5   0:00.69 konsole
    One member here downgraded to Kernel 2.6.20. This seemed to solve that peak load symptom. Is there anybody here, knowing if kernel guys/vmware are already working to find a solution for current load problems ?

rob*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by dpj23 View Post
    I have noticed the differences... I have one laptop running 7.04 and one running 7.10 both with workstation 6 installed on each of them...

So, since I spend most of my time with a virtual machine running it was clear that adjustments had to made...

So, I reduced the visual effects to none... While this may only be one solution it solved my performance issues...

I hope this helps...
    You know as stupid as this may sound ... I didn't even think to check those settings. I've just installed 7.10 on my new laptop because 7.04 won't even boot to it but that's another story. I've just found that pesky Vista-esque "feature" that adds glitz and other crap to the UI so I'm going to re-attempt with Vmware 6 today.

/shakes fist at f-tard that added cludge to default desktop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123