Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vmware Workstation 6 in Gutsy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Vmware Workstation 6 in Gutsy

Quote Originally Posted by n01mower View Post
    Good day all, i am brand new to vmware workstation and Ubunto as of today. i have xp and installed vmware workstion.
    I have been trying to install ubuntu and have had no luck. I verified that the cd is correct I can see all the files on the disk and it comes up at boot.
    when the vmware starts up I can see options to start or install and several other options. when i click in the vmwindow i can high light an options and hit enter but the install does not start. The cd rom is the 1st in line to boot. i could use some hints if you have some.
    clean install of xp. fresh install of vm. any help would be great.
    thanks
    I haven't worked with the Windows version of vmware but you can try this as an option. When you create the initial VM edit the cdrom drive to use an iso image file in place of the physical cd drive. In order for this to work, though, you will need to make your XP setup disk an iso image. I found this to be much more reliable and incredibly faster, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by jbardin View Post
    bensode,

I tried re-configuring vmware server gain, and this time it couldn't build the modules. I used this patch (unsupported by vmware, but I found it linked from their KB)
    http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmwa...date114.tar.gz

After building the modules again, the system seem to be running better. I'm not sure if it's as good as it was previously, but I don't notice the host bogging down anymore.
    Yep I use the vmanywhere unsupported patch running as well that seemed to do the trick for the installation. I tried tweaking settings a bit within the vm and in the configuration of the vm that seemed to make minor improvements but it just didn't "feel" right. I could have lived with that as I don't rely heavily on the vm I use cxoffice locally for all my MS apps anyway.

After reading around that several people had similar problems I just reverted back to 7.04 until Vmware can address the issues with the kernel and there are binaries in the 7.10 repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy, too. Reinstalled VMworkstation newly. I admit I did not too much with Feisty before, so I cannot directly compare regarding efficiency. Having several XP installations and one Vista. Seems to work as far as I can see.

Even though I recognized some problems with external USB drives. Under some conditions that making heavy usage of this external devices, USB connection sometimes fails during access. I could not find out the closer conditions, yet.

Another point (sorry for somewhat OT here, but all experts seem to be here ) is that I cannot get ordinary other USB devices like webcams or iPod or such stuff, that are not directly supported by Gutsy to get recognized inside the VMs. Maybe anyone could point me to that, what I'm doing wrong, here - or even if it isn't possible at all?

rob*

Beans

I cannot get ordinary other USB devices like webcams or iPod or such stuff, that are not directly supported by Gutsy to get recognized inside the VMs. Maybe anyone could point me to that, what I'm doing wrong, here - or even if it isn't possible at all?

rob*
    With this type of virtualization, the guest doesn't have direct access to the hardware. If the host doesn't support the device, the guest won't be able to get at it.

-jim

Beans

vmware will support any USB device, regardless of whether Linux supports it. Thats why its so excellent! However on Gutsy they have made a change to the USB system that requires a tweak to make it compatible with vmware again which still uses the 'now out of date' system:-

Please open the following file: /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh by following command - gksudo gedit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

Find the following lines:
    #mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    #domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    #ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    #mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Unmark them so that look like this:
    mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Restart and your usb devices will be recognised

This is related to Bug #151585 and affects other VM's too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@jcottier:
    Thanks for information.
    Do you know when vmware will change things to use the non outdated way of detecting/using USB devices? Or is there no known alternative, yet. Do you have some more details for us - especially why in Gutsy things have changed?

Does this break anything in Gutsy - or more specific: Are there any known side effects?

rob*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have noticed the differences... I have one laptop running 7.04 and one running 7.10 both with workstation 6 installed on each of them...

So, since I spend most of my time with a virtual machine running it was clear that adjustments had to made...

So, I reduced the visual effects to none... While this may only be one solution it solved my performance issues...

I hope this helps...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

With the upgrade you may need to re-configure the workstation using this command with escalated privileges...

vmware-config.pl.

Beans

Not to change the subject per se, but you may want to check out VirtualBox.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

It's an open source solution to the virtual machine. and works great.

A

Beans

Nobody laughs, but i installed VMware on Ubuntu 7.10, but how do I start VMware ?
    A tutorial mentionned that it would be in Applications/System Tools/
    but there's nothing there, only VirtualBox,
    Also, can you have both VMware and VirtualBox installed at the same time ?

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast