Thread: I just joined...

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile I just joined...

Well, I just joined now that I found a good guide on getting a PGP key onto the Ubuntu key server. I'm Danni, also known as Amy. I live in the Waukesha area, and I've been using Linux for almost 4 years now, and I ditched Windows on March 28, 2004, and have not looked back. I have already been giving away ShipIt CD's around my college campus and would like to help promote Kubuntu even more. (I'm sorry, but I don't like GNOME, and most people I know find KDE to be easier to use.)

I own two computers: a laptop with a Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, 32 MB VRAM, 60 GB HDD, NVidia GeForce 4 graphics; and a Pentium II with an S3 Vision968 GPU, 160 MB RAM, 2 MB VRAM, and a 40 GB hard disk. Both run Kubuntu Gutsy exclusively.

I just joined the mailing list too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: I just joined...

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the club!!

I'm in Madison here so not too terribly far away. Its always good to hear about new folks joining. With 4 years under your belt, I imagine that you may very well be one of the more active on here.

I've been a linux user since 1995 (yeah, I'm old) and using Ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog...before that I was straight up Debian user.

Anyway, look forward to seeing posts from you, and keep handing out those CDs!!

P.S. linux chicks are cool (sorry couldn't resist)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Welcome.

Always nice to have more neighbors.

Beans

Hi there - so what (specifically) made you choose K versus U distributions of Ubuntu?
    Are there specific hardware configuration requirements relative to which one I choose?
    I just downloaded and am in process of installing Ubuntu 7.10 - as a brand new user to Linux should I even consider Kbuntu?
    Thanks
    Peter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by possmann View Post
    Hi there - so what (specifically) made you choose K versus U distributions of Ubuntu?
    Are there specific hardware configuration requirements relative to which one I choose?
    I just downloaded and am in process of installing Ubuntu 7.10 - as a brand new user to Linux should I even consider Kbuntu?
    Thanks
    Peter
    Welcome to the group! I personally prefer KDE over the Gnome in Ubuntu. For me, I like the default applications that come with Kubuntu (Amarok, Dolphin/Konqueror, Konsole) however, you can get those packages in Ubuntu and sill have Gnome as your desktop manager.

I would think that since you are just starting out in Linux, you might want to start with Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu mainly because of the number of people using Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu in the forums. Once you get more comfortable, you can try out Kubuntu or install the KDE desktop.