View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Hello,

I've got the DCP-195C printer/scanner, and it works fine for printing but can't seem to get it to scan! I'm running 10.10 and as far as I can see there isn't an updated procedure for this distro on the Brother site. I've tried doing the pre-required procedures for the most up-to-date version (even then I had to change the commands), and also tried several of the fixes posted on this thread, but all to no avail! Please can someone help?

Thanks
    Sophie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Sophy, have you tried running "sudo xsane" in terminal. If it works as root (sudo) then its a permissions problem. try this
    Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!
    I could not get the edit of /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules to work so I just opened a text editor and created a file "51-udev-default.rules that said...
    device nodes
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", NAME="bus/usb/$env{BUSNUM}/$env{DEVNUM}", MODE="0666" Then saved it. Then moved it to /lib/udev/rules.d
    Now my scanner works.

Beans

Thank you, but neither of those things worked

Of course I've tried so many different things that there are probably now all kinds of compatibility issues! I might start again from scratch.

Beans

I've done it! Used the .deb package instead of the .rpm... No doubt if I were a more terminal-savvy person I would never have made that mistake in the first place, but hey, it works now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Congrats!
    I didn't think of that. Always use .debs for Ubuntu.

Beans

Samsung SCX-4521F scanner not working but printing perfect ly

Hi all, I am new in this forum. My problem is -I'm trying to add my printer/scanner Samsung SCX-4521F to my machine running Ubuntu 10.04. I was successful setting up the printer. It works perfectly. The only problem is that Sane does not find the scanner. I looked at the sane-project website and did not find my device under supported devices.

even i do not know much about ubuntu and i really loved it after using.
    please anybody tell me how to do it step by step, that will be great help.

being a new member, i will get a help.

Beans

I don't know if this is old news on this thread. But, I wanted to document, how I got scanning working on an MFC-420CN with 11.04.

It was actually really easy. I just followed the instructions on the Brother website. While this worked for my situation, you might not have to do everything I did or possibly more. It's just what I did.

To download, I went here http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...nload_scn.html. Be sure to search the page for your model number. The first time, I did it I got in a hurry and chose the wrong one.

I downloaded 2 files: brscan2 32bit and scan-key-tool 32bit.

I installed the debs with dpkg -i.

Then, if you look just below the files listed, there are 2 links for how to install. Here's a page with instructions. I chose the 3rd option, the one for normal users (Setting for normal users (Required for USB Connection)). Since the option for my version of Ubuntu wasn't there, I just followed the most recent version I could find.

I rebooted and scanning just worked.

KUDOS to Brother for making this available and to Ubuntu for making a terrific distro.

I hope this helps someone.

Beans

Well...I think I've read almost every single post on this scanner issue with the 490CW, and I'm still no further ahead.

I've been running Ubuntu for years with no issues, but since 9.04 expired, and I got a new Nvidia card, it was time to upgrade to 9.10, and this is where some 'issues' happened..

Here is my unique situation... I have the Brother MFC-490CW installed as a network printer 192.168.1.151. (EDIT : this is setup as a wireless printer) I can print to it from my Karmic box no problem, but when I try to lunch Xscan, it tells me it sees no scanners attached. When I do lsusb i get :

Code:
    hu@hu-desktop:~$ sudo lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c518 Logitech, Inc. MX610 Laser Cordless Mouse
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03eb:0902 Atmel Corp. 4-Port Hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0409:0059 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    I did the mods to the mods to the /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules file.

Output of my (brscan-skey --diagnosis) is :

Code:
    /usr/local/Brother/sane/brsanenetdevice3.cfg:
    DEVICE=SCANNER , "MFC-490CW" , 0x4f9:0x1fb , IP-ADDRESS=192.168.1.151 

hu@hu-desktop:~$ brsaneconfig3 -q shows the following :

Code:
    Devices on network
      0 SCANNER             "MFC-490CW"         I:192.168.1.151

So, from what I can tell, it sees the scanner.

Now comes the kicker.. when I scan by using the button on the printer, it scans no problem, and opens up GIMP or saves the file in my home dir, but if I try to scan from GIMP afterwards (using create), it opens up xsane, and states again that no scanner is available after a few seconds..

Has anyone see this before? What the heck could be wrong?

Much appreciate any info or comments that can help me get my scanner back !!

Thanks for reading..

-Hubert
    Last edited by jeepzj; January 24th, 2011 at 08:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

This HowTo was extremely well constructed. Many of the basics are assumed on the Brother website which helps keep it concise. Without this How To I struggled: eg csh error was encountered. But now I am the proud owner of Test Page which I am going to use as a beer mat while I print and scan.

Thanks very much for making an effort, one of the first things a new user wants to do is connect the scanner and printer. Well done and please continue to write quality like this.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Code:
    $sudo vim /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules
    Then add this line somewhere in the file. I added below the #printer section

Code:
    #scanner
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", NAME="bus/usb/$env{BUSNUM}/$env{DEVNUM}", MODE="0666"
    The instructions on the first page which were still for gutsy didnt work for me even though i created the scanner group.

This works for Maverick with a Brother DCP-560CN, I got the driver from here:
    http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...tion_scn1.html

Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast